Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

.300 win mag with 208gr Amax

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 12:28 AM
Bronze Member

Re: .300 win mag with 208gr Amax

Bergers are just soft lead bullets with a thin jacket, arranged in a very aerodynamic shape. A-max's are the same thing. They may perform slightly different because of the tip construction but at the end of the day they are essentially the same bullet.

My feeling on exit wounds is that a small or non-existent one is best. I want my bullet expending all of it's energy inside the animal, causing damage to it's vital organs. Anything coming out the other side is an indication of wasted energy. Now with a 300 ultra and a little mule deer there is plenty of energy to go around, so a large exit wound is not surprising. Still it is not a sign of good bullet performance. The bullets we are talking about are long range bullets, and at long range you want every ft lb of energy available being used to put the animal down.

In response to the original question, there is nothing wrong with seating the bullet deeper. Read the first sticky in this forum, it talks about finding the best seating depth for the Berger bullets. I would try that method in your gun and see if you can find an accurate load that will fit in your magazine. If not, and if you're ok with it, load them longer and don't use the magazine. Best of luck.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopaka81 View Post
My experience with several 450+ yd kills on mule deer is exactly the opposite. Exit holes the size of a grapefruit, seeing the hits, it is like a fire hose blast on the exit hole side of the buck. My MV is 3208 from my 30" bbl'd 300RUM.
As noted, I do not have enough personal experience on game (antelope, deer, and coyote) to make a comfortable recommendation for A-Max as a dependable hunting round. Deer and antelope were DRT but pencil size entry and exit wound but the internals imploded. The coyote was cut in half held only by the pelt at the belly.

BTW, the OP asked for 208 A-Max load in .300 Win Mag not .300 RUM. My load has an MV IIRC out my 24" at 2950 ... perhaps that extra OOMP is the ticket.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:42 AM
Platinum Member

el matador,

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by el matador View Post
My feeling on exit wounds is that a small or non-existent one is best. I want my bullet expending all of it's energy inside the animal, causing damage to it's vital organs. Anything coming out the other side is an indication of wasted energy.
I agree with you on maximum energy spent internally. Base on your statement my personal experience did exactly that.

Quote:
Quote:
Now with a 300 ultra and a little mule deer there is plenty of energy to go around, so a large exit wound is not surprising. Still it is not a sign of good bullet performance. The bullets we are talking about are long range bullets, and at long range you want every ft lb of energy available being used to put the animal down.
Again, I agree with you on the extra energy from the .300 RUM but unless I misconstrue your message it contradicts the end result when you noted "Still it is not a sign of good bullet performance."

Perhaps Chopaka81 will re-engage to tell us the both the internal damage and exit wound performed desirably as a hunting round.

Hopefully, all of these info is helping the OP to make the decision.

Cheers!

Old 10-02-2013, 07:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
The .208 A-Max would not be my first choice on hunting, esp on big game. I've harvested a doe and coyote using 178gr and 208gr A-Max beyond 300 yards but still would not recommend it for your hunting range. There are others here that have taken bigger games at further distances though.
Like this >>> Elk lost with 208 AMAX?

Old 10-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
Again, I agree with you on the extra energy from the .300 RUM but unless I misconstrue your message it contradicts the end result when you noted "Still it is not a sign of good bullet performance."
Yeah it wasn't as clear as it could have been. The 300 ultra bullet did "perform" and kill the deer. It's an example of having "plenty of gun", and just about any bullet from that gun would have killed the deer at that range. I do not quantify a bullet's performance by the size of the exit wound, that's all. You could have a bullet fail to expand at all and then blow out the off side shoulder, causing very little internal damage but leaving a large exit wound. I hear people say that they only had a pencil-sized exit wound so the bullet performed like garbage and they won't use it again. What matters is the wound channel inside the animal, not how wide the channel is when the bullet exits.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah it wasn't as clear as it could have been. The 300 ultra bullet did "perform" and kill the deer. It's an example of having "plenty of gun", and just about any bullet from that gun would have killed the deer at that range. I do not quantify a bullet's performance by the size of the exit wound, that's all. You could have a bullet fail to expand at all and then blow out the off side shoulder, causing very little internal damage but leaving a large exit wound. I hear people say that they only had a pencil-sized exit wound so the bullet performed like garbage and they won't use it again. What matters is the wound channel inside the animal, not how wide the channel is when the bullet exits.
Copy that! Thanks.