Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

300 wetherby mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 300 wetherby mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcarjeb View Post
I think your problem might be the same i had before on a 30-06. I was using cci standard rifle primer and a youth load that only filled the case about 60-65% and It would not fire all the time. Had been using rem. primers with no problem and since have good back to remington primes and no problems at all. I think the standard cci doesnt have enough spark for a low fill case. 70gr of IMR 4350 would be about the same case fill I had. I found this to be worst if the case was tilled toward the bullet end and leaves an air gap on the primer end. Try a hotter primer and or more powder. hope this helps
I wonder if you could add a filler between the powder and the bullet (like cream of wheat) and make it work?
gary
Old 10-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member

Guys, if you're only loading a 60% load density with 4350, you'r headed for some real serious problems far worse than misfires or hangfires. IMR or H4350, or any of several other slow burning powders like them don't react well to reduced loads (poor load density) and can be dangerous in such applications.

Aside from that, there's something else that's causing the misfires here. I'm still leaning towards case or powder contamination.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA
Old 10-21-2010, 06:52 PM
Bronze Member

I might agree with the primer idea but i have used the remaining primers in three diffrent rifles and have have no problems. and the primers that were pulled out of the cases that didn't fire were spent.The 72grs. of 4350 fills the case nicely max is 74g. I really dont think that there would be room for the primer spark to jump the powder charge. I am more inclined to think powder contamination also but i dont know how. Same powder used in two diffrent weapons, same primers used in three diffrent weapons, same reloading steps used in all my reloading. In the rounds that failed to fire the powder is discolored and clumped together. Again I would agree that it is powder contamination but not sure how. I think I will try some mag primers and some powder that Trickymissfit recomended. Thanks again fellas and if anyone has anything else please let me know.

101sniper
Old 10-21-2010, 09:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101sniper View Post
I might agree with the primer idea but i have used the remaining primers in three diffrent rifles and have have no problems. and the primers that were pulled out of the cases that didn't fire were spent.The 72grs. of 4350 fills the case nicely max is 74g. I really dont think that there would be room for the primer spark to jump the powder charge. I am more inclined to think powder contamination also but i dont know how. Same powder used in two diffrent weapons, same primers used in three diffrent weapons, same reloading steps used in all my reloading. In the rounds that failed to fire the powder is discolored and clumped together. Again I would agree that it is powder contamination but not sure how. I think I will try some mag primers and some powder that Trickymissfit recomended. Thanks again fellas and if anyone has anything else please let me know.

101sniper
My powder looked just like yours. the powder i was useing was imr 4895. TRY the same load with a hotter primer and I bet it takes care of your problem!!
Old 10-22-2010, 05:07 AM
Silver Member

i bought my wby new and shot maybe 60rounds of factory loaded barnes through it. when i started loading for my 300wby i was running 78gr imr4350 with 168gr ttsx with no pressure signs at all it was chrony at 3140fps. now after i had about i would say 125rounds down the tube i was getting still moa at 100yrds but not as tight as befor i just left it as barrel breaking in. so i switched to imr7828 and use 84gr imr7828 and 168gr ttsx and shoot 5shot groups at .473 and under depending on me hahah. i havent chrony this load yet but its close to 3200fps im guessing. so i dont know what was max load in your wby but i took these loads striat out of the barnes books and they are working great for me! just to throw my $.02 in hope this helps try upping your powder. o i always used fed215GM primers too
Old 10-22-2010, 08:29 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
I wonder if you could add a filler between the powder and the bullet (like cream of wheat) and make it work?
gary
I am with the general opinion, you have bad primers from whatever reason or headspace issues, tend to think PRIMER issues.

I have been using 7828 exclusively in the 300wby 84.5 grns 165 Sierra Game King 215 primers - had a few that dumped 100% in whitetails w/o exiting at about 100yds - load is fine in 2 MKV & a Win70

You need be careful trying to make light loads using slow powders.