Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

300 Weatherby Load Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2006, 11:31 PM
Silver Member

300 Weatherby Load Help

I'm going to give my troublesome 300 Weatherby Mark V one more try to shoot accurately (by that I mean under 1 moa) and I really need some help with working up an accurate load for it.

Here is what I have to work with:

175 gr SGK's
180 gr SGK spbt's
190 gr SMK's
185 gr Berger VLD's

20 pieces of new Weatherby brand brass that I have BR prep'd.

Federal 215 primers.

1 lb of RL19 powder

I'd also consider purchasing a lb of IMR4350, RL22, RL25, or H4831 powder if any one of these came highly recommended for this caliber.

I would really appreciate any 'pet' load recommendations. My main emphasis, for now, is accuracy, not velocity. I would also appreciate recommendations on a powder that will excel with this caliber. I do not have any load data on the berger VLD's (as they were given to me), and would like some help on where to find load data or starting points for these.

I'm a careful reloader and would start low and work up to any recommended loads. And I would consult the books.

The past accuracy problems with this rifle are a whole other story. At this point, the action and the first inch of the barrel are bedded. The rest of the barrel is free floated. The action screws have been torqued. The scope and mounts have been swapped, just in case they were part of the problem.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:54 AM
Writers Guild

Re: 300 Weatherby Load Help

Confirm that your throat is not too long ie bullet must engrave the lands before leaving the case neck. If there is a jump, accuracy will always be poor.

H1000, Retumbo would be my choices for the heavies. I have shot h4831SC with light 155/168gr bullets and this was really good. However, would go slower powder for the weights you are thinking about.

Use Fed 215M primers. collet or bushing size your brass and monitor runout. Work up load.

Make sure that the bedding was done right and that the action is not bending. You don't need to torque a stock down. if the bedding is done properly, firm hand tight is plenty.

The use of so called torque is a bandaid to other stock problems.

Jerry
Old 02-18-2006, 10:16 AM
Silver Member

I have to politely disagree with some of the above. First of all...for some reason Hodgdon doesn't recomend retumbo for the 300 wby till you get to 200 grain bullets. Another poster had called them and was told by a tech it had something to do with inconsistant ignition on bullets lighter than 200 grain. (Which surpirsed me)
Secondly Weatherby rifles with freebore can be VERY ACCURATE. I know because I own 5 of them. While they aren't benchrest quality all but one of them will do MOA to 400 yds which is my personal limit. AND you might actually get BETTER accuracy out of you rifle by seating the bullet shorter (not longer) in the case.
It would be my recomendations:
* For powder try RE22 or I7828--personally I'd give the nod
to 7828.
*84-85 is usually a max load for 180's with 7828. TRy working up in 1 grain increments from say 81 or 82 and see if you find a sweet spot.
You could also try and "hang the bullet out" as much as your clip will let you....or seat it deeper like the factory and see if that "jump" makes the barrel "sing".
If none of these work I'd take it to someone with a good reputation and a borescope.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:02 AM
Bronze Member

I have to agree with kraky on the bullet seating depth issue. With the freebore in the Weatherby, it is likely not possible to seat the bullets very close to, or on the lands so you may as well keep them short. Another point of concern is that you have the barrel floated. It has been noted and discussed on other threads here, that the Weatherbys actually have a designed pressure point at the front of the stock. I don't know which Mark V you have but in my ULW, I had to remve a little bit of that pressure point to decrease the pressure on the barrel. It shot near MOA prior to this and with a little trial and error of filing down those pressure points, I improved that by about 50%. I do think that perhaps the very thin profile of the lightweight barrel is a bit more susceptible to these changes than a standard barrel.

I have actually never shot nor loaded any bullets as heavy as you are looking at for this caliber. I usually shoot 165 gr. I have used the both the Swift Scirroco and the Nosler BT with great accuracy success. With how the Swifts have performed on elk, I have not considered looking to heavier bullets. The two best powders I have used are H4831SC and H1000. Both loaded to near the top of typical recommended loading have been good (under .75 MOA). I have played a little with a couple of the VV powders as they have tended to be very good for me but haven't gotten too serious about getting the best loads out of them yet. With as much more expensive as it is for me to get the VV powders, if I can stick to Hodgdon I would prefer that. Though I do consider the expense well worth it if they are the best for getting a particularly finicky gun to shoot well. Good luck - I do think your gun is capable of more than you have seen out of it to this point.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:56 PM

here is my load data I have found that works great for me. I have found that my 300 weatherby really likes 200 grain bullets. I have played around with speers swift and many others. I finally found that the 200 accubonds 81.5 imr7828 have given me the best results. By far not a bench rest gun but I am satisfied. I worked the load up and got better accuracy at 83 grains (I believe this is the top book load) but the pressure was a little high for my likeing. Every gun will shoot a little different but 7828 brought my groups down to my likeing. just at 1 moa at 100 yards.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:11 PM
Bronze Member

my 300 works well with the following--

180 gr. nosler part.
federal gm215m primers
80 gr, h4831sc powder

3005 fps on my chronograph

saami oal used
Old 02-18-2006, 03:53 PM
Silver Member

My Jap MKV recipe is 88.0 grains of H4831 and 150gr. Hornady Spire Point. If I do my job, the first two are in the same hole at 100 and the third just pulls slightly to 1 o'clock. I still need to work on heavier bullets.