Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

300 Tejas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 12:08 PM
Silver Member

Re: 300 Tejas

[quote=JOWEL;718706]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
I can't see a barrel life longer than 500 rounds, and that'd be pushing it. The basic .300 WBY mag case is already overbore with anything under 190 grains. Then you move up to a load that takes at least 20 grains more powder for at best 150fps?

I'd call it a barrel maker's dream come true!
gary[/QUOTE

for sure will be a barrel burner at least, its basically a 300 rum with a la ackley shoulder for a 10% gain in case capacity, yes you can go up to extreme a use very hot loads with very short case life 2 no more than 3 loadings and get the velocity up, think the .300 Win Mag will always be the king. if you want something with more authority go to the .338rum or .338edge they mark a difference.
by the way sound good .300 tejas,hihi
Old 03-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Just read this old post,

500 round barrel life at the most, COME ON GUYS!!!

Coming from someone that has designed and released over 25 wildcats in my Allen Magnum and Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical families of wildcats that MANY of which have expansion ratios that make the 300 Tejas look like a 308 Win, you will get MANY more rounds down the barrel then 500 IF you take care of your barrel, limit shot strings to 3 rounds and keep the barrel clean.

I have many dozen 338 Allen Magnums in the field that have well over 500 rounds down the bore and some pushing 1000 rounds down the bore. This round makes the 300 tejas look like a popgun with its 145-150 gr powder charged and driving 265 to 300 gr bullets to 3300 to 3550 fps.

Not trying to flame anyone here but the claim that overbored chamberings are nothing but barrel burners is simply a falacy these days. With our modern barrel steel and modern powders, its not like it was many years ago.

My 7mm ALLEN MAGNUM for example has a slightly larger case capacity then the 300 Tejas and necked down to 7mm and when cared for properly they will last close to 1000 rounds down the bore easily.

Just can not sit back and hear this bashing as its simply not true. I feel its based more in inexperience more then anything else.

That said, if you want a rifle that you can put 100 rounds through every shooting session, get a smaller gun because you will burn the throat very quickly. If you want to shoot 10 shot strings, get a smaller chambering.

These rifles are designed for long range precision big game hunting, not high volume shooting, use rifles as they are designed and they will last a LONG time. My personal 7mm ALLEN MAGNUM has been in heavy use for over 8 seasons now, It was used originally for load development and ballistic testing for R&D for that wildcat, and not overly nice to it at times. I figured it would be ready for a new barrel several years ago and have a new barrel sitting on the rack ready for that use. Its been sitting there for 4 seasons and last year when I varified the 100 and 800 yard zeros the rifle shot a 3/8" three shot group at 100 yards and a 4.5" three shot group at 800 yards. This out of a 7.5 lb bare rifle weight rifle in one of the most extreme chamberings on the planet and after around 800 rounds down the barrel.

When I released the 7mm AM all I heard was how you would not even be able to develope a good load for it before the throat was burnt, BUNK. Don't fall for the opinions, learn the facts and take care of your rifles bore and do not overheat it.

Just wanted to add some solid information for those that may read some of these opinions and become spooked by the very short barrel life charges. I tell potential customers all the time that if they use the rifle as designed, they will last a very long time, barrel life has more to do with how the owner uses the rifle then what the rifles chambered in.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-30-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninglover1 View Post
Cross Canyon Arms would be the best place to buy the dies. You use 300 RUM brass and can supposedly once the brass if formed you can increase load data from a regular RUM by 10%.

Brad at CCA can give you all the data you need.
Brad is no longer part of CCA.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:00 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Tejas View Post
Since when did he leave?

Accurate Long Range Hunting Rifles - Cross Canyon Arms
Old 05-31-2014, 12:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Tejas View Post
I talked to him on the phone a couple months back, and he was still @ CCA. I'm not positive, but I think I remember him saying he owned CCA... So, I don't know why he'd leave his own business.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninglover1 View Post
5/27 was his last day.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I talked to him on the phone a couple months back, and he was still @ CCA. I'm not positive, but I think I remember him saying he owned CCA... So, I don't know why he'd leave his own business.
Chris Woods is the owner of CCA. Brad is gone.