Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

.300 RUM seems to give ejector marks very easily ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2005, 10:27 AM
Silver Member

Re: Hey txhunter

I think it's common to see ejector marks if you might have a generous amount of headspace. I just started loading for this caliber and boy the brass seems pretty heavy duty.
Are you still seing marks at moderate loads with good tight headspace....say under .002"??
Old 12-20-2005, 11:48 PM
Silver Member

The brass I'm using is at least once fired, so brass is fireformed to my chamber. I don't resize. Don't need to, tight neck chamber. I just decap, reprime, charge and seat bullet. Now when I say ejector marks I mean It is more of a ghost image of the ejector pin hole. Only when there is to much pressure does the brass flow back into the hole, then shear off when lifting the bolt, Hence leaving an nice shiny circle on the case head.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:20 AM
Platinum Member

I've also seen those "ghost images" with light loads of Retumbo. I figured some of it might be caused by a rough ejector and have since replaced the ejector--but haven't worked up from a light load since to see if that helped.

Once I determined these weren't "real" ejector marks and added more powder they went away. Then once I'd get to real high pressure loads ejector marks would re-appear but they'd be really shiny, "wiped" looking ones. Those are what I call "real" ejector marks and back down from any load that shows them. In my rifle (A-Bolt), even when these marks show up bolt lift is still as light as ever.

So in short, my advice is back off from shiny, wiped, marks. Don't fret over ghost images that you only notice because you're looking at the case under a magnifying glass--they do not mean you're over pressure as the chronograph will show, as will adding powder and seeing them go away.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:09 AM
Bronze Member

Ejector Marks

Jon A,

the 92 gr Retumbo/AR2225 loads behind the 200 gr AB with fed 215m cap look a little polished in regards to where the ejector mark is or a couple do and the other to it is a ghost image.....................thing is I would not think that the 92 gr of Retumbo behind the 200 gr AB was anywhere near high pressure, but I will back of to 90 gr to ensure saftey. My brass is Rem and this is on it's first fireing.

I wonder if case capacity increases with the Rum after first fireing........if so pressures may recede.

When I have had ejector marks in the past with rifles it is usually associated with hard bolt lift so this is odd for me.

Thanks Folks.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:44 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Ejector Marks

ejector marks will reduce with the same velocities in Winchester cases but they still appear.

Wonder if when a sako extractor is installed if that hole could be filled?
Old 12-21-2005, 06:55 AM
Gold Member

Roy

You could have a smith make a plug to fill the hole up, but you would not have anything to push the case out.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:02 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Roy

You could have a smith make a plug to fill the hole up, but you would not have anything to push the case out.

[/ QUOTE ]

oops, a bit of a brain fart there. Thanks! That'll save me from looking/sounding dumb when talking to the gun smith. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]