Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

300 RUM load development questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 11:10 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 300 RUM load development questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Ebert View Post
Ok, I don't understand these 9#-10# 300 RUM's but anyway I have a load of 95.0 grains of Retumbo, Bob Cauterucio 211 grain bullet CCI Mag. primer ,Rem. brass COL 3.667 measured velocity of 3150 fps out of a factory 26" tube and shoots all day long in the .2-.5" and this with a rig that weigh's 7.75 fully loaded. I did try the 215 Hybrids and they worked almost as good as the 211's good luck as once you find the sweet spot they are very accurate and a joy to shoot! I almost forgot and this is unbraked as well.

Ditto for my 30 rum. I've got a 6-18x nikon on top and she weighs in just under 9# with no brake. The rifle just shoots.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerwin View Post
This is some good stuff. I'm getting some good input. I have a FL bushing die that I used last night with one shot case lube and sure enough, I stuck a case in it. It just so happens that I have a stuck case remover on its way. Should be here this week. I also have Imperial sizing wax, and I will be using that from here on out.
I still wonder if I should even be using these bushing dies if I'm not turning necks.
I'm learning things the hard way, but you guy's are a great help.
When I get the system down I'll probably have a pile of dies that I wont use anymore.
I do have an RBS standard FL die. Maybe in the end I go back to a standard die set. I dont know
Anyway thanks for all the input
Actually, a FL bushing die with an expander is probably a good way to go. That way you can use a bushing to minimize the working of the brass by not taking the neck down as far as a standard FL die. I am planning to do that with some of my other cartridges. I used to turn necks but didn't find any noticeable difference n accuracy with unturned necks, especially if you're not using a customized chamber/neck reamer. Just stick with your Redding FL bushing reamer and maybe get the next smaller bushing and put and expander on the spindle.

Also, there are some "creative" ways to get you case unstuck. I had to do it 3 times. I was a little slow in learning! lol

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 01-14-2013, 10:38 PM
Bronze Member

The replies I've gotten here are very imformative and helpful. Thats why I'm here. I have much to learn. I think what I have will work for me, but my techniques need mucj improvement. I hope to be testing these techniques out this weekend.
I'll try at mag length and see if anything looks promising. If not maybe I'll consixer a Wyatt box. I'll make a seater plug change, and go with the FL sizing.
I've got a box of 210's and thought I should try them. Would still like to fimd some hybrids.
Sounds like I keep hearing Retumbo repeated over and over. I have some and will try it.
Thanks guy's, I'll let you know if I hit what I'm looking for.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member

For what it's worth full length sizing dies that don't use expander balls (bushing type) end up with the sized case neck best centered on the case shoulder. This is why so many benchresters have given up on neck sizing and now use full length bushing dies. Any time an expander ball's used it tends to bend case necks a bit off center, especially when the die sizes the case neck down too far and the expander ball has to be pulled up hard to get it out of the case.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:23 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Actually, a FL bushing die with an expander is probably a good way to go. That way you can use a bushing to minimize the working of the brass by not taking the neck down as far as a standard FL die. I am planning to do that with some of my other cartridges. I used to turn necks but didn't find any noticeable difference n accuracy with unturned necks, especially if you're not using a customized chamber/neck reamer. Just stick with your Redding FL bushing reamer and maybe get the next smaller bushing and put and expander on the spindle.

Also, there are some "creative" ways to get you case unstuck. I had to do it 3 times. I was a little slow in learning! lol
I appreciate the advice Rifleman. Sounds all reasonable to me. It makes sense.
Would you care to share some creative ways to unstick a case?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:35 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
For what it's worth full length sizing dies that don't use expander balls (bushing type) end up with the sized case neck best centered on the case shoulder. This is why so many benchresters have given up on neck sizing and now use full length bushing dies. Any time an expander ball's used it tends to bend case necks a bit off center, especially when the die sizes the case neck down too far and the expander ball has to be pulled up hard to get it out of the case.
As soon as I get my stuck case out of my bushing die. I'll experiment without and with expander. Checking concentricity. I think I believe you on the expanders pulling necks off center.
Anyway thanks. I'll find what works best in the end. I'm getting some good suggestions here.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

To remove your stuck case from a die, first slide the shell holder off its head then remove the die with the case in it. If there's no primer in it, then use a standard stuck case remover to get it out. If the primer's in it, then I'll need to know what cartridge case it is before giving more help.