Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

300 RUM load development questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 01:32 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 300 RUM load development questions

Pics would be good

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-26-2013, 02:08 PM
Bronze Member

300 RUM load development questions-img_20130326_123739_137.jpg

This shows that not all primers are cratered, and maybe they dont appear to be too flattened. The ones on the left have no cratering, but the ones on the right do. These were all fired yesterday from 90 - 92 gr. These primers have a very different look, I'm not sure why. I'm extra careful on my charge weight's, and check each one with a check weight set before and after I've charged each 3 round weight group.

300 RUM load development questions-img_20130326_124413_598.jpg

In this view the case heads look good, I think.
Maybe I should ignore the primer cratering. The 3 case heads are from the 92 gr loads. The warmest. I'm not convinced that I'm seeing pressure signs, but the velocity increases that I expected weren't there.

Between 88 & 90 gr the velocities seem to be readable, but from 90 - 92, I cant read much of anything into the velocities. At 92 gr the velocities straighten back out, but not what I had expected.
So with 210 VLD's if I remember correctly without going back and looking. This thread has gotten a bit long. Were you running 92 gr?, if so what kind of velocities were you getting?

Last edited by cerwin; 03-26-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:35 PM
Platinum Member

Those primers do not look flattened. They still have well rounded edges and the cratering is inconsistent. It looks like a firing pin issue to me. You might want to consider a new assembly or at least a new spring and have it checked by a smith.

PTG Remington 700 Traditional Non-ISS Firing Pin Assembly Long Action

My new RUM build is getting a whole new PTG bolt and trigger assembly.

I did say 92 gr from memory but went back and checked my notes. The actual charge was 93 gr with an approx average velocity of 3130.

What were the light conditions when you were chronying these loads? Any clouds or shadows? Late afternoon - early evening? I have seen velocities flatten out when pressures get high and I have also seen them spike.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-26-2013, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member

These are flattened primers. This was a max load in my 7 RM. Notice the 2 factory cases with gold colored primers in the lower left
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
300 RUM load development questions-img_0429.jpg  

~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-26-2013, 04:39 PM
Bronze Member

;
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
These are flattened primers. This was a max load in my 7 RM. Notice the 2 factory cases with gold colored primers in the lower left
I have a new PTG bolt body, but the firing pin assembly is the original from factory. I will replace with a PTG firing pin assembly.
The light conditions were sunny, early morning. About 15 degree temp. I kept my ammo in my truck to about a 45 degree temp. About the same temp as the last round of testing.
I'm thinking that amount of flattening should not be a problem. Would you think I've reached max at 92? That max shot nearly as well as the 88 gr I started at.
At 92 gr. I chrono'd a 3090 fps avg.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member

Your 92 gr velocity is in line with my 93 gr velocity. I think you'll be OK climbing another couple of half grain steps.

Or, you might consider starting @ 89 gr to the lands and climbing to see if you can tighten up the groups a little.

~ John Quincy Adams