Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading


Reply

300 RUM load development questions

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 01-13-2013, 05:24 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Leominster mass, originally Salisbury Maryland
Posts: 1,323
Re: 300 RUM load development questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerwin View Post
Thanks guy's. I may try the hybrids, if I can find them. Have not been able to find them yet.;
As far as runout goes. I am starting with new Nosler brass ready to load. Already neck sized and necks are concentric. The runout is after seating. Maybe I need a different seater plug.
Heres another question, being relatively new to handloading. Can I resize without the expander ball? Is it a neccessity? It seems to me that it is what it is, and does not appear to be adjustable within the die body. Could it be left loose to in a since float in the die body?
My best guess is that if you are getting runout on virgin brass, then it may not have been true to begin with, which is probably the case, so I don't think that your seater is the problem. What ARE you using?
As far as can you use the resizer without the expander, that isn't possible, unless you are using bushing dies. The die , as it is designed, squeezes in on the neck, then expands it to a size that is just short of your nominal bullet diameter. That typically gives enough tension to hold the bullet in place until fired. If you remove the expander, the neck will be so constricted that you will not be able to insert your bullet, or it will be TOO tight. Take your time, and get familiar with your set up, and take measurements. It will come together.
__________________
AIM SMALL,MISS SMALL. 7 STW
LIFE IS TOO SHORT! AND WE ARE A LONG TIME DEAD!!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-13-2013, 05:33 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: N.D.
Posts: 2,817
Re: 300 RUM load development questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerwin View Post
As far as runout goes. I am starting with new Nosler brass ready to load. Already neck sized and necks are concentric. The runout is after seating. Maybe I need a different seater plug.
Heres another question, being relatively new to handloading. Can I resize without the expander ball? Is it a neccessity? It seems to me that it is what it is, and does not appear to be adjustable within the die body. Could it be left loose to in a since float in the die body?
When you are seating a longer pill I make sure it is about square to start with, start it a bit, then rotate the round and finish the seat; don't ram it home like you are trying to beat it up. Take a bit of time and let it center itself.

As to the die and no expander ball; you'll have to inside mike a brass after trying it. Usually it's no unless you have collet dies as you'll end up more than the .002" under diameter that is about correct for neck tension; much more than that and you'll get runout during seating as the brass will stretch off center.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-13-2013, 10:20 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 92
Re: 300 RUM load development questions

Ok, thanks so I'll try try dry lube neck sizing only? I do have 180 accubonds shooting 1/2, but they're seated .020 off lands with no runout. Well past mag length. I havent chrono'd them neither have I shot past 200 with them. Tough to find anywhere to shoot beyond 200 around here. Its the only load that has printed the same each time I've shot them .The runout I'm only getting with VLD's.
So far the Accubonds have been consistent to same POI with 82 gr. IMR 4350., and 215M. These are shot with a 10 lb unbraked rifle off of Harris bipod, and rear bag.
What can you tell me about seating depth with your loads. Are you loading to mag length? How far off lands?
I still want to try the Bergers. Some say they're too difficult, others say no problems with them.
Oh and Lefty, I've got a left hand 7 STW being built right now. I'm ready for that one.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-13-2013, 10:46 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 92
Re: 300 RUM load development questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
My best guess is that if you are getting runout on virgin brass, then it may not have been true to begin with, which is probably the case, so I don't think that your seater is the problem. What ARE you using?
As far as can you use the resizer without the expander, that isn't possible, unless you are using bushing dies. The die , as it is designed, squeezes in on the neck, then expands it to a size that is just short of your nominal bullet diameter. That typically gives enough tension to hold the bullet in place until fired. If you remove the expander, the neck will be so constricted that you will not be able to insert your bullet, or it will be TOO tight. Take your time, and get familiar with your set up, and take measurements. It will come together.
I'm using Redding competition bushing neck die, Redding body die if FL sizing is needed. This is a new die set for me. I checked all the case necks for concentricity before loading and they showed no neck runout. The runout was in the bullet after seating with Redding competition seater. I'm starting the seating rotating 90 degrees seat a little more rotate 1/4 seat a little more and then another 90 degree rotation before complete seating. I'm seating Accubonds with no runout using this method
Its only with VLD's that the runout becomes an issue.
If I'm understanding correctly, I am using bushing dies so I can bush it down to correct diameter without using the expander
That nosler brass I never even ran through a neck sizer before loading, but will bushing neck size for next loading
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-13-2013, 10:53 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 143
Re: 300 RUM load development questions

Sounds like the seater plug could be your issue. You can order a VLD seater plug from Redding. As for resizing without the expander ball in your bushing die, the only way you could get away with this is if you are neck turning your brass. If you are neck turning to a consistent neck thickness, then you could figure out what ID you want, then add in the wall thickness and this will give you the proper OD, and therefore, the proper size bushing to use in your die.
__________________
sharpshooterbr
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-13-2013, 10:59 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 92
Re: 300 RUM load development questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog67 View Post
I had some of the same issues you had with the 210 VLD s for my 300 ultra . They are picky with the jump to the lands. With having to load mag lenght you will have to work hard at the seating depth . It's frustrating at times trust me I know . You might need to get a Wyatt's extended box put in they are around 200.00 this will allow you to load closer to the lands .

With your runout issue not sure what to tell you , I started loading with once fired brass full lenght resized then neck sized to .333

My runout is .003-.005 with Remington brass shot from my gun .

Like was Said if you want an easier time of loading bergers get you hands on some 215 hybrids , here is what they do out of my gun , good luck with you quest .
Hey bird dog that grouping is good. I may try those hybrids. I've not found any anywhere. Any idea where I can get my hands on some?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-13-2013, 11:09 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 92
Re: 300 RUM load development questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooterbr View Post
Sounds like the seater plug could be your issue. You can order a VLD seater plug from Redding. As for resizing without the expander ball in your bushing die, the only way you could get away with this is if you are neck turning your brass. If you are neck turning to a consistent neck thickness, then you could figure out what ID you want, then add in the wall thickness and this will give you the proper OD, and therefore, the proper size bushing to use in your die.
That makes sense sharpshooter. Thats why I'm here I have much to learn. I actually ordered a neck turning kit from Sinclair and then canceled that order. I thought, wait a minute am I loosing my mind. I dont even yet know what I'm doing and buying all this advanced stuff. Eating out of dumpstaers and picking up beer cans off the side of the road to afford al this lol
So my question now is, without turning necks should I even be using bushing dies?, or shoul I go back to the standard sizer dies.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Do you plan to buy a new custom rifle in the next 12 months?
YES - Of course - 72.96%
1,654 Vote
NO - wife/girlfriend won't let me. - 27.04%
613 Votes
Total Votes: 2,267
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC