Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

300 RUM load development questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 06:55 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 300 RUM load development questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
I haven't loaded for several of these for while. As soon as it warms up a little and I get some powder and bullets in I'll be getting busy.

For the 300 RUM, I am using Rem brass. Not the greatest, it lasts about 4-6 firings with max loads. I have a Sendero 300 RUM and another being built. In the Sendero I worked loads for

180 E-Tips, 98 gr Retumbo 3400 fps
200 AB's, 93 Retumbo, 3200 fps
210 Bergers, 92 gr Retumbo, 3130 fps

Accuracy was about .5 MOA for all loads. The E-Tips were most accurate out of my rifle.

Bullets were seated to about .020 off the lands and too long for the mag box, My new build will have a longer mag box.

I will develop loads in the RUM for 200 CE bullets and 230 Hybrids. I will try Retumbo and RL33.

Yes, I chrony. I will be order an acoustic chrono this spring. And yes, The 300 Rum will be used for hunting.
Thanks,
What would you recommend to me as far as further load testing. How do you find your loads? I'd like to get a load nailed down at the upper end in the least amount of rounds possible.
When my RUM was in all factory condition, I burned the barrel out looking for something it would shoot consistently well. Never did find that with all factory ammo, and rifle.
The only thing left of that original rifle is the completely blueprinted action. It would appear that I'm on to something good, but I dont want to stop where I started. There should be something at the upper end that will shoot as well.
I see your at book max with 210 VLD's. Should I bump back from that a couple grains and work up to that max, seeing what it does?

I'm using Nosler brass, 215 primers. We'll see how much life I get out of the brass. That stuff is hard to come by these days.

I got a 7 STW coming next month, and I've been trying to get brass for it for 6 months now.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:57 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
I have a few hundred rounds through my 30 rum now and it is very predictable. I'll usually shoot a low, mid, and top charge at 3.650" (just inside of max. mag length) and at least one of the groups will fall inside of 2/3 moa. I use only hornady bullets in this rifle as it seems to favor them. I'm using rem brass(necked up) left-over from my retired 7rum and 215 primers. I've been burning rl series powders with rl25, rl33, and rl50 all used. The only times I've gone over 12 rounds is when there was no data at all to start with, ie. when I was working with mil. surp. powder or rl50. Those took 18-21 rounds to get to pressure and find accuracy.
Playing with seating depth and using very small charge variations can at times be beneficial but is often used as a band-aid for the barrel not really liking the bullet.
I must have missed this response Lefty, I'll try picking charges like your saying. To this point I know that 210 VLD's are shooting sub 1/2MOA at 200 with 88 gr Retumbo. Thats the only charge weight I've fired so far. Looked for seating depth with that charge and it shot all seating depths good, but .010 off lands was the best.
I'd like to find something at the upper end that shoots as well
Old 03-14-2013, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerwin View Post
Thanks,
What would you recommend to me as far as further load testing. How do you find your loads? I'd like to get a load nailed down at the upper end in the least amount of rounds possible.
When my RUM was in all factory condition, I burned the barrel out looking for something it would shoot consistently well. Never did find that with all factory ammo, and rifle.
The only thing left of that original rifle is the completely blueprinted action. It would appear that I'm on to something good, but I dont want to stop where I started. There should be something at the upper end that will shoot as well.
I see your at book max with 210 VLD's. Should I bump back from that a couple grains and work up to that max, seeing what it does?

I'm using Nosler brass, 215 primers. We'll see how much life I get out of the brass. That stuff is hard to come by these days.

I got a 7 STW coming next month, and I've been trying to get brass for it for 6 months now.
I couldnt reach the max load in my .300 RUM while using Noslaer Custom Brass . I had stickey bolt lift way befor I got to the high side. Just thought I would mention my experience. Good luck with your shooting.....
Old 03-14-2013, 09:28 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
I couldnt reach the max load in my .300 RUM while using Noslaer Custom Brass . I had stickey bolt lift way befor I got to the high side. Just thought I would mention my experience. Good luck with your shooting.....
Did you switch to different brass?:
Old 03-14-2013, 10:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
To this point I know that 210 VLD's are shooting sub 1/2MOA at 200 with 88 gr Retumbo. Thats the only charge weight I've fired so far. Looked for seating depth with that charge and it shot all seating depths good, but .010 off lands was the best.
I'd like to find something at the upper end that shoots as well
If you are shooting sub 1/2 MOA at 200 yards be happy. Don't shoot out another barrel chasing the ultimate, I've been down that road before......
Old 03-14-2013, 10:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks,

My Sendero shot everything well and I believe that has a lot to do with Sendro contour heavy barrel. Your #4 may be a little more finicky.

That said, you're off to a good start. If you want to minimize development, pick one bullet and one powder. IMO Retumbo is the #1 powder for the 300 RUM. RL 33 may change that and others may disagree. But if you do search on 300 RUM loads, you'll probably see Retumbo more often than any others and with good velocities and accuracy. After reading Broz's threads, I would recommend considering the 215 Hybrids. He got better accuracy and velocity than the 210's and they have a better BC.

The way I would approach it is to work up a grain at a time from where you are now until you reach max. Then shoot for groups at max. The local gun range here only goes to 427 yds and that's where I made decisions on which loads to go with.

If you're happy with the performance at max stay there. If not, you might try some different seating depths as per Berger instructions. If nothing works there then work down in .5 gr increments until you are happy.

I'm a high velocity kinda guy and that is why I have a 300 RUM and other overbores. So if I'm mot getting good groups at or near max it's time to try another bullet and/or powder or try . I would stay with Retumbo.

If you want to shoot a very accurate bullet that's easy to load for, get some CEB's. They are spendy, but you will probably spend less time, bullets, powder and barrel life load developing them. I did put some through my Sendero a couple of years ago and they were extremely accurate. However, if you load the 200 gr C22's you will not get them in your mag box. What i did with long bullets that didn't fit the box was to just put one down in the top of the box and the nose tip would rest just above the rim of the box. That way I still had a quick second shot if I needed it.

I also use the 215 primers and I have also heard the Nosler brass to be on the soft side.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 03-14-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:57 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post
If you are shooting sub 1/2 MOA at 200 yards be happy. Don't shoot out another barrel chasing the ultimate, I've been down that road before......
Yea, thanks for that. I don't want to do make the same mistake again. I'm new to hand loading, and the first load out of the gate is shooting that good. Maybe not the velocity I'd like, but is every last drop for all its worth necessary for LR? Probably not. Still have not been back to see how consistent this load will be. I actually am happy, I know I've got a good load ( I think ) if I don't find something at the upper end soon.