Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

300 RUM Issues...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 10:50 PM
Silver Member

Re: 300 RUM Issues...

you really need a good chronograph to set out there at 15 ft to get your velocities. Prochrono is affordable and most people that own one like it. I love mine. Next, you need to determine if what your seeing is really an excessive pressure sign or not. I'm assuming your getting a half moon on the brass head from the ejector. Does the hole that the spring loaded ejector button sit on your bolt in have a burr or sharp edge or may not be perfectly flush? This can cause it to mark the brass probably well before top pressures are reached. How is bolt lift and ejection? you said primers look fine. In my experience with the ultra mags; you can definitely tell when you are pushing too hard because the primer pockets loosen significantly after the round is fired. You find this out when you are seating a new primer in your fired resized brass case. Maybe take a few of your fired brass and see how a new primer seats? food for thought.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:18 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrultramag View Post
Does the hole that the spring loaded ejector button sit on your bolt in have a burr or sharp edge or may not be perfectly flush? This can cause it to mark the brass probably well before top pressures are reached. How is bolt lift and ejection? you said primers look fine. In my experience with the ultra mags; you can definitely tell when you are pushing too hard because the primer pockets loosen significantly after the round is fired. You find this out when you are seating a new primer in your fired resized brass case. Maybe take a few of your fired brass and see how a new primer seats? food for thought.
I have not noticed any sharp edges, but I can check. I will also try to post a picture of the signs I have noticed on my brass. Bolt life and ejection have been fine. I have not reloaded any of my used brass yet, but I will also try to clean one up and put a primer in there to see if it seats correct. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 04-24-2013, 04:35 PM
Gold Member

Here are some pictures of the pressure signs I noticed:

300 RUM Issues...-picture-001.jpg
300 RUM Issues...-picture-002.jpg
300 RUM Issues...-picture-003.jpg
Old 04-25-2013, 12:44 AM
Silver Member

maybe I'm blind. I even blew up those pictures and I cannot see an ejector mark on that brass. usually the mark is well defined and when severe is quite a shiny mark. If primers seat well and feel decently tight (not ready to fall back out) and no other issues; I would progress with increasing the load if you want. Get a chronograph first so your not flying blind. I personally load 92 gr RL25 in Rem Brass, fed 215M primer, 200 gr Accubond, 3.65 OAL and get approx. 3150 fps. When I tried Retumbo I can't remember the exact charge but velocities were very similar but accuracy wasn't there in my gun. I think I went as high as 95 gr. Of course work up to those levels as each gun can be different in what load levels it will tolerate. Be safe.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:53 AM
Gold Member

I added some arrows to the spots that I have noticed:

300 RUM Issues...-picture-004.jpg

300 RUM Issues...-picture-005.jpg

300 RUM Issues...-picture-006.jpg

The other thing I was thinking is even if I could increase this load by 2 grains, would that really jump my velocity up over 200+fps? I feel like I should be over 3,000fps and at 2,860 I am not sure that 2 grains would jump my up that much. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 04-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Silver Member

Sorry if I missed it; but what kind of gun and action do you have? It doesn't look like over pressure to me. I also don't see any extractor marks. It looks like a circular mark or trimming of brass. Always hard to tell in pictures but that is what I see. Used to have a Winchester in 300 WSM that really shaved off brass.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:06 PM
Gold Member

It's a Remington 700.