Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

300 RUM Headspace gauge bushing ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member

300 RUM Headspace gauge bushing ??

I just recently purchased a headspace gauge bushing from Hornady. I notice that it's not the right one or this is what I think. The gauge that i recieved has B .350 on it and when you look at their website it has this number for the 300 rum but on the back of the pack that it came in, has this same chart and does not mention 300 RUM under B location on the chart. What the back of the package says is that I need product # E .420 . I called and talked to a tech. @ Hornady but he couldn't seem to understand what I was trying to say. I finally asked him to just go and pull the package from inventory and look for himself on the back of it . He told me he was know were near the packaged products. So my question is this what gauge # are you using for your 300 RUM . If you use the one from hornady.

Thanks
BigBuck
Old 06-10-2010, 10:09 PM

Re: 300 RUM Headspace gauge bushing ??

BigBuck -

Now you have me questioning things. I have been using the E .420, the 300 Ultra Mag is listed on the back of the package for the sets. However, when I look in the 2010 Hornady catalog, they have the 300 Ultra listed under the B .350. I would guess (assume) the package insert is correct, but I will be calling or stopping by (I live nearby) before I check anymore cases.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Bronze Member

any luck with this issue guys? i was going to order one from midway but i don't want to get the wrong one. thanks
Old 06-16-2010, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
any luck with this issue guys? i was going to order one from midway but i don't want to get the wrong one. thanks
Sorry for the late update i forgot about this thread . I talked to a lady the next time i called hornady , I asked her which gauge bushing do i need she says hold a moment and comes back and tells me that I need The E .420 for my .300 remington ultra mag . I told her to go and pull one of the B .350 off the shelf she did I then asked her to look on the back of the package and look under the B section on the chart and below that it has 22-250 and other small calibers but no 300 RUM . The E section has the 300 RUM in the chart . Once we got that settled i told her to pull up the chart on the hornady website and look were they have 300 rum listed and it is listed under the b section which is wrong . she thanked me and said that they will fix the wedsite error . She then asked me for my address and said that she would send me what i needed in the mail . I told her that I would send the wrong one back to her but she said i could keep it All in all I'm happy with how she took care of everything .

So to answer your question The correct bushing for a .300 RUM is the E .420 bushing .

I would like to mention that I used this bushing on about 9 rounds and could not get the bolt to close properly now i know why because what i thought was .003 sholder bump was not even close to bumping the sholder .

BigBuck
Old 06-16-2010, 11:52 AM
Platinum Member

I think this is what our illustrious presidente calls calls "a teachable moment." You need a reloading component, you look up that component and you order it. The firm ships you the part you ordered, the part they said you needed, and it's not working right. There's a problem there somewhere, and it just needed to be rooted out, even though everythiong was "right." Not a good thing, but yeah, it happens. And it's worth remembering.

Good job by all involved!

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA
Old 06-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Bronze Member

awesome thank you. i found some conflicting info on this, the hornady PDF file on the product, the insert on the package and then the info listed on midway etc.

thanks again this saves me some time and a little money
Old 06-16-2010, 12:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
awesome thank you. i found some conflicting info on this, the hornady PDF file on the product, the insert on the package and then the info listed on midway etc.

thanks again this saves me some time and a little money
Your welcome . And good luck with your shooting

BB