Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

300 RUM Bullet Crimping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 11:07 PM

Re: 300 RUM Bullet Crimping

Thanks for that advice Lefty. I'm a lefty too. Thats why I've not gotten my 300 RUM back yet, but am expecting it by the end of the month. Sounds like I'll be looking at sizable jumps with that gun, and probably some frustrations till I get the hang of it.

I think the 7-08 is probably a good place to get my feet wet, and see what my equipment and loads do. The RUM is my main project, but have much to learn between now, and then.

Is my strategy of finding seating depth, and then working out load from there reasonable?, or will charge increases have any affect on seating depth? I've seen every opinion imaginable on this site, and as it stands now I dont know if I've got the horse before the cart, or the cart before the horse.

If that sounds reasonable, I'l play around with that range from .100 off, and back. That's obviously what it wants. At .135 off factory loads are really bad, so the .100 vicinity may be hitting pretty close.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cserwin View Post
Thanks for that advice Lefty. I'm a lefty too. Thats why I've not gotten my 300 RUM back yet, but am expecting it by the end of the month. Sounds like I'll be looking at sizable jumps with that gun, and probably some frustrations till I get the hang of it.

I think the 7-08 is probably a good place to get my feet wet, and see what my equipment and loads do. The RUM is my main project, but have much to learn between now, and then.

Is my strategy of finding seating depth, and then working out load from there reasonable?, or will charge increases have any affect on seating depth? I've seen every opinion imaginable on this site, and as it stands now I dont know if I've got the horse before the cart, or the cart before the horse.

If that sounds reasonable, I'l play around with that range from .100 off, and back. That's obviously what it wants. At .135 off factory loads are really bad, so the .100 vicinity may be hitting pretty close.
I don't think you will be pulling teeth with your rum. I usually take a few different bullets I'm willing to use and seat 'em to standard length for that cartridge, and set a mild charge(low book charge) of appropriate powder under them and have at it. You will probably see patterns pretty quickly(with what the rifle likes) that you can work with to get her going better. With your 300rum I'd look at rl25 and retumbo to start with and 180 grain and heavier bullets. I take the loads that show promise and work for speed and accuracy. Right now I'm using a 180 Hornady fb and 93gr of rl25 with a 215 in rem brass loaded to 3.600" and it shoots 1/2' 3 shot groups consistantly. It isn't a 1000 yard load, but it works well.
I also use the 190 hornady with wc872(mil-surp), and the 225 hornady loaded to max mag length with a compressed charge of rl50 and a 215.
Seating depth is trial and error within limits. You don't want the bullet's ogive in the case mouth, and you don't want it so jambed into the rifling that you have to knock it out and you get an action full of powder if you ever decide to eject a loaded one. I give the big ones some run, but fitting your magazine is often the biggest reason to not go longer.

Last edited by Lefty7mmstw; 07-04-2012 at 07:47 AM. Reason: comment on seating depth
Old 07-04-2012, 07:54 AM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=cserwin;665420]I've got RCBS uniflow measure, trickler, and hand priming tool. I've got RCBS dies, but am noticing everyone seems to be using redding dies. That may come later. For now, I'll see how the RCBS dies work for me. Still wondering why my factory loaded Rem. brass is showing case neck splits after one firing. I suspect it may be from the factory crimp. Anyway the factory Barnes ammo I started shooting last year all appears to be good. Any theories you guy's have on that may be helpful.
I do see where this would become a time consuming process, and over time you would want to minimize time.
QUOTE]
Your cracks were probably from stiffer brass and a slightly big chamber; crimps can start a crack too though. Not much to worry about. Just look for info on annealing if you want to soften the necks a bit. I personally haven't had to, but some have.
I also use rcbs dies and they work. About 1/2 of my dies are rcbs, and 1/2 are redding.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:35 PM

I may just do that. Try different bullets, and then do a simple load charge test test to see what velocity range is doing the best, and work it out from there, as well as a seating depth test. I learned a rookie lesson today on bullet seating. I think for now My RCBS dies will do just fine, as I'm not looking for a 1,000 yd hunting load, not just yet, but a good accurate shooter out to reasonable ranges. I'm sure I'll be wanting to dabble in extrem long range as a hobby, and somewhere to sink my money into. hahahaha! Actually I am looking to satisfy my curiosity for the least amount possible. I could imagine it would be very easy to spend obscene amounts of money for nothing in this pursuit.

As far as the RUM goes, I've got some retumbo, and may pick up some RL25 to try, as well. I've got 180 gr. TTsX's, and 210 gr. VLD's. May try others too.

I appreciate your advice, and see that this may not have to be as difficult as it seems after reading all the post's on here. I guess it's just every bit as complicated as you make it. I'm a simple guy, and a good accurate load for hunting may not be all that complicated, for my purposes. I'm sure I'll want to dabble in extreme long range shooting on my own, but for my purposes, I think the less complicated the better.

Anyway I'll let you know how it all goes.