Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

300 RUM Bullet Crimping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 07:46 PM

Re: 300 RUM Bullet Crimping

Another question is in powder selection. This gun will be used for big game hunting in the Rockies. My load development will be done in 90-95 degree weather. My hunting will be done in much cooler temps, estimated 20-30 degrees. Which of the magnum powders are the most temperature stable? Not just magnum powders, as I'll be loading for 7mm-08 as well. What will my best options be in powder selection based on temp differentials?

I'm a beginner to reloading so all advice, and recommendations will be seriously considered, and appreciated
Old 06-19-2012, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

cserwin,

The Wilson trimmer is a very good one. I have it with the micrometer adjustment added on from Sinclair Int. they have te individual shell holders for unfired and fired cases for most calibers so you can just buy both shell holders for the 300 RUM and be good. I would also invest in a OAL gauge so that you can find out how far out you can seat a bullet before it touches the lands on your rifle.

The powder that you use is also fining to depend on what weight bullet you are going to use. When I was loading for the 300 RUM, I was getting good results with Retumbo and H1000 which both are temp stable powders. I was using a 210 gr Berger. I do believe that Barnes has a 200 gr bullet that work well for you.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:17 PM

Thanks for the input. The fascination with long range ballistics has bitten me, and I'll probably go broke searching for that ultimate LR load, and rifle. I must be watching too much TV (Long Range Pursuit), (Extreme Outer Limits), etc. For now its a hobby, but I also do a lot of hunting, and will continue to use the RUM for hunting.
Have you used Barnes, and Bergers on game? I've shot game with my RUM, and was not overly impressed with Swift Scirroco's in factory Rem ammo, although the end result was good. Probably shouldn't complain about that. My loads will be intended for hunting.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:26 PM

Korhil, I appreciate your advice, and willingness to help. I have pretty much made my investment, some of which I'm sure I will be replacing very soon, as with the case trimmer. Apparently you get what you pay for. And I will be looking for precision accuracy. As I get into it I will be picking up more advanced equipment.
I've not actually loaded a round yet, but will soon. Right now waiting on that Wilson micrometer trimmer, with case holders for 300 RUM, and 7mm-08, which I'll also be loading for. Ordered today. I also got a Hornady Lock & Load OAL gauge. Is that worth the cost? Sinclair XL body with bump gauge inserts. I've been doing a lot of reading. Have manuals from Lyman, Speer, Barnes, Nosler, and Hornady. Will continue to read over and over.
I've kept all of my RUM brass from factory ammo purchase. Approximately 700 rounds. I have cleaned all the brass, mostly Remington, and about 100 Barnes. What I am seeing is some case neck splits with the Remington brass. Not a lot, but enough to have me questioning the Rem brass after 1 firing of factory loads. Could this be caused by the factory crimp. The Barnes appears to be in good shape, but has the same type of crimp. Also have purchased some new Nosler brass. I shoot this gun quite a bit, and was seeing a drop in accuracy, and consistency. Anyway the gun is being built by a custom gun builder in North Carolina, and I expect it back within the next few weeks.
Looking forward to it, and as I begin actually loading ammo, I'm sure I'll have more questions. For now I'm waiting on trimmer, and gun back from builder. I could start with that 7mm-08, but still need trimmer, as I have new Rem. brass for it, and will need to do some case trimming. For now I am still in the info gathering, and learning phase.
Stay tuned, more to come.
I appreciate the advice.
Chris
Old 06-21-2012, 03:08 AM
Platinum Member

I have only killed one animal with a berger bullet. It was a javelina at 100 yards with a 25-06. It did the job about like any other bullet would. I have killed a ton of animals (mostly whitetail and mule deer) with the 100 gr barnes TSX out of a 25-06. I have never had anything that I have shot with that 100 gr Barnes bullet run off.

I drew an antelope buck tag in New Mexico this year so I am going to be using the 115 gr berger with my 25-06. I will see how it works out on game.

There are lots of guys on here that use Barnes bullets and lots that use Bergers. They both seem to do the job. Some just prefer one over the other.
I am in the process of getting a custom 338 LM built (just waiting on the action). I will be using the 300 gr Berger OTM so hopefully it will work well.

The OAL gauge is kind of handy to have so that you know how far you can seat your bullets out to. The wilson trimmer will save you a lot of time and will be very consistent on the trim length.

What press do you have?

Since you are starting out, dont just go off on a spending spree and buy anything and everything to try to help you get precision accuracy(unless you are just RICH!). A lot of people go and buy it all at once. They then find out that they spent way too much money and didn't really need all of it. Just buy as you find a need while you are shooting and reloading. If you feel like you need to buy something that will help you but are not sure, just put a post up here and a lot of people are very helpful and will tell you if it is crap or not.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:06 AM

Thats good advice, and I'm guilty of the spending spree. I originally bought a RCBS Rockchucker kit. For now hopefully it will suit my needs. In hindsight I should have done a little more research, and I wish I would have found this site before I got into it.
The good thing about modern technology is availability of information, resources, and forums such as this. A guy should be able to make informed educated decisions on purchase, equipment, techniques, and methods.
Got an elk hunt, and 2 deer hunts coming up, and will be trying 210 gr. Berger, and 180 gr. Barnes TTSX. The TSX comes in 200 gr. weight. May try that. In the end I'll go with what I'm getting the best accuracy from.
Last year was a strike out for me on big game and my freezer is running on empty almost. Hopefully I'll be restocking this year. Did get plenty of birds, and waterfowl though.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:58 PM

Good luck with the antelope, and the 338 build. I'm considering another build, and 25-06 could end up being my choice.