Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

300 RUM, 240 SMK, US869 Initial Results

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2006, 11:25 PM
Platinum Member

300 RUM, 240 SMK, US869 Initial Results

I think I'm going to like this powder. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Unfortunately the range was fairly crowded today and I didn't feel like messing with the chronograph so I didn't get any velocities, sorry. But I felt like shooting the ones I loaded up to check for pressure signs anyway. Here were the results:

Load developement? What's that? 5 different powder charges in new crappy Rem brass, bullets just seated to fit the mag (3.6"), one shot with a clean bore.... I think this combo might have some potential. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I also fired 101 and 102 grains, but since I had already put 5 into that hole (and it was so pretty) I shot the last two at a different target. They would have opened the group little, if any. No pressure signs at all, even at 102 grains. I really expected to hit one before then or I would have loaded a 103. I have to be getting close...time to bust out the chronograph.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 300 RUM, 240 SMK, US869 Initial Results

A few additional notes:

As some may be wondering, even stuffing the long bullet so far into the case, the 102 grain load was not compressed at all. This stuff is dense. Pretty full though, it would only shake a little. That's with new cases that have a slightly smaller capacity than fireformed ones will.

Also, I think 102 grains is definately getting there. Kirby did such a good job on this chamber, this thing chambers and extracts fired cases effortlessly while my old chamber/barrel had no prayer of doing that even with very mild loads. Anyway, while extraction was effortless when I fired the shot, the 102 grain case is the only fired case from yesterday (even including a 97 grains of Retumbo behind the 200 AccuBond) that shows even a hint of resistance to extraction when I chamber it now. Nothing scientific or obvious as a bright, shiny ejector mark like I was expecting, but I think it gives some indication that 102 is starting to get up there pressure-wise.

I think I'll load up some at 100 grains, check velocity, consistency and 300 yd accuracy as the next step.

Please approach these loads with caution (notice I started at 95 grains) as this 3-groove Lilja seems pretty slick so others may top out sooner.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:41 PM
Platinum Member

Congradulations,Jon A, nice shooting and a nice rifle indeed
Old 06-04-2006, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

Jon A,
Awesome shooting Jon A, I'm glad you're sorry because it's frustrating to some us not being able to know what velocities you're getting. I've been waiting for something like this with US869. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] How can you do this? .... OK!, OK! We forgive you because you're sorry... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'll be waiting for the report when that chronograph comes out!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 06-04-2006, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

That's pretty sweet!!!

Where'd your targets go. I like the looks of that one, without that puny group [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I use others of your targets but really like the looks of that one.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Jon A,

Nice shooting, I think she will work out pretty well for you!!! Let us know on the velocity results!!! Then stretch er out and lets see what those 240s will do at long range, I think its a shooter from the looks of it!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-05-2006, 02:18 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to be very happy with this rifle.

Eaglet, I know, it's killing me too. I'll do my best to get some numbers within a week. But as it was, I barely got off my last shot about 2 minutes before the range closed...I have never spent so much time cleaning a barrel in all my life! My arm is actually sore from scrubbing the bore so many times...damn these break-in proceedures anyway! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Roy, thanks for reminding me I haven't updated my target page in years. I've been planning to, just haven't gotten around to it. In the meantime I could send you some files if you'd like.

Yeah, there's no doubt she's a shooter Kirby. 300 yd groups soon and more out to 1000 & 1100 yd within a couple months if I get the new gong built. My current one only goes to 800 and I think that's going to get boring with this rifle.