Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

300 rum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2006, 08:09 PM
Silver Member

Re: 300 rum

Nevermind that then, misunderstood the question.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:22 PM
SPONSOR

Not that this answers your question REm but I think I do remeber hearing before that the AMAX bullet uses a VLD style nose profile, definantly reduces drag.

That 150gr accubond would be one high speed sucker!!! ANd it would offer more in the weight retention department. Thats the only prob I have personnal seen with the AMAX, they just open up almost too good. But then again that was with a lot lighter bullets, 178gr has a lot more weight behind it.

Steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 03-25-2006, 10:34 AM

BigIron,
the 300RUM is my favorite deer smacker. My hunting style requires employing a bullet that will withstand high velocity impacts in the likely event of a close encounter, yet readily expand and largely hold together. Said bullet must also expand reliably at longer ranges. Hunting with a RUM introduces a new set of complications due to its velocity that can largely be overcome with a bonded bullet of 180 grns or more. The Swift Scirocco 180 works for me.
I have noticed sometimes deer don't react to being shot and I'm guessing it's the velocity. It's like they aren't even aware at times. This can leave you wondering at times if maybe you hit a twig or something and somehow missed. I haven't had this problem with the Scirocco, it makes deer sick very quickly even if they manage to stay on their feet.
95gr H1000 Rem 91/2M
Old 03-25-2006, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Basically this means if I am using the curve manufacturer's use (G1) I get a 1.011 BC for the 178 AMAX out of my 300 RUM. Out of my 308 however the BC hasnt been near as impresive. Its closer to .495 G1
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

I have given up using "G" models and now use BC decay rate. This number (used in place of "G") can be adjusted in .001 increments for a much more precise trajectory chart.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.