Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

30-378 Brass Too Tight in Die

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 06:31 AM
Silver Member

30-378 Brass Too Tight in Die

I recently bought some once fired brass off this site. I finally got them cleaned along and needed to load them. Prepped the cases last night and got ready to full length size them last night in the RCBS die and they either would not even fit or would not fit without extreme force. I know it was the cases because I went back to some of MY own brass and they ran through perfectly. They were so extremely tight, it broke the lip off of the shell holder and it will now have to be replaced.

First Question - What caused this? I assume a chamber a little on the large side with a hot load possibly?

Second - Is this brass junk now? I assume it's not good for the press, die, and obviously the shell holder to require that much force.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2013, 07:10 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 30-378 Brass Too Tight in Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by drenner43 View Post
I recently bought some once fired brass off this site. I finally got them cleaned along and needed to load them. Prepped the cases last night and got ready to full length size them last night in the RCBS die and they either would not even fit or would not fit without extreme force. I know it was the cases because I went back to some of MY own brass and they ran through perfectly. They were so extremely tight, it broke the lip off of the shell holder and it will now have to be replaced.

First Question - What caused this? I assume a chamber a little on the large side with a hot load possibly?
yep- big chamber and/or hot loads

[/QUOTE]
Second - Is this brass junk now? I assume it's not good for the press, die, and obviously the shell holder to require that much force. [/QUOTE]

likely- how much do you want to beat up your equipment for some brass; I hope it wasn't a huge quantity-- I hope you were using good lube and not one-stuck- that stuff will stick a key in a heyhole

[/QUOTE]Thanks[/QUOTE]
Old 10-24-2013, 07:43 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 30-378 Brass Too Tight in Die

I will second that good lube like RCBS case lube will be your best chance of smoothly resizing this brass.

Jeff