Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

30-06 load make up help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2014, 01:32 PM
Gold Member

Re: 30-06 load make up help

I run 53.grns of imr4350 with 200gr.smks with oal. 3.34in really accurate load it can reach out there along ways
Old 04-29-2014, 02:48 PM

I know every production rig has it's own lead, but I've loaded for dozens of different Rem 700's, oldies and new. Of all of them, I don't think I've come across one that wouldn't let me get as close to the lands as desired, and still obtain magazine fit, and feed function. Even with short, light weight varmint bullets, I can still usually get up to the lands, and still maintain plenty neck to shank contact also. It's been a different story though with some of the Ruger's and a few other production actions I've loaded for.

MB
Old 04-29-2014, 07:24 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarnsr2 View Post
I know every production rig has it's own lead, but I've loaded for dozens of different Rem 700's, oldies and new. Of all of them, I don't think I've come across one that wouldn't let me get as close to the lands as desired, and still obtain magazine fit, and feed function. Even with short, light weight varmint bullets, I can still usually get up to the lands, and still maintain plenty neck to shank contact also. It's been a different story though with some of the Ruger's and a few other production actions I've loaded for.

MB
unfortunately my magazine in my TC Venture is only 3.34in or just a little longer but fortunately I found a accurate load with the 200gr.smks that I can load to that length but my rifle is a bench queen so I'm going all out on some 215 bergers (3006) and shoot it single shot which is ok because I let it cool before the next shot anyway

an armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians

know guns,know peace,know safety.no guns,no peace,no safety...

The second amendment is in place incase the politicians ignore the others

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

For those who trade liberty for security have neither Benjamin Franklin...
Old 04-30-2014, 04:09 AM
Bronze Member

I would not go with a 190gr bullet in the 30-06, you lose too much velocity and since you said you will be shooting at distances over 500 yards you are going to want good velocity to insure proper bullet expansion.

From most rifles a 180gr Nosler Partition with a charge of 57.0gr of IMR4350 or H4350 will deliver very good accuracy and ~2800 fps. A 180gr AccuBond isn't a bad choice either and might be more available in the stores.

@500 yards with a MV of 2800 fps the 180gr Partition will still have over 1900 fps and @600 yards ~1765 fps.

@500 yards with a MV of 2800 fps the 180gr AccuBond will still have ~1970 fps and @600 yards ~1825 fps.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:31 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarnsr2 View Post

MB
I don't think you lose to much velocity with 190s they are perfect for long range 3006 most long rang bullets are designed to expand at moderate velocities I can get my 200gr.smks at 2750fps without going over max book charge most factory 180s rounds are only pushing that velocity with a high BC. Those 190s will maintain there velocity alot better and the added weight will bust what ever your shooting at I always thought lighter is better till I went long range and found out heavier is always better just my opinion

Old 04-30-2014, 08:38 AM
Gold Member

sorry Mbarnsr2 that reply was meant for archangel..

Old 04-30-2014, 10:05 AM

With all my literature on reloading I am showing 53g max in IMR 4350. I have noticed that many of you are loading 3-6g higher than the max recommended load. I am planning on shooting today and seeing which of the two powders that I have loaded my gun likes most.

Question" Say I find that out of the 49-53g loads I have worked up. The 52g ends up being the best. Would you suggest on trying to get hotter loads 54 and up and look for pressure signs and try to find a sweeter more accurate round or just stay with what I have found?