Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

30-06 180 grain partitions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2008, 01:31 AM

30-06 180 grain partitions

I'm trying to work up a load with some 180 gr Partitions in my '06. I'm shooting a Remington 700 with a 24" barrel. I shot a few groups today with 57 grains of H4350 over CCI 200 primers. They didn't shoot too bad but weren't what I'd call great. I'm curious as to how deep everyone is seating this bullet in their rifles. I seated it to where the bottom of the bullet is about even with the bottom of the neck of the case. I didn't know if I should be seatin them out further with this bullet or not. I'm not opposed to trying different powders either. Only other powder I have on hand would be IMR 4831. I'm trying to get a load worked up to head to Canada this fall. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:23 AM
Platinum Member

what are ya hunting and what distances are you anticipating?
Old 07-20-2008, 08:52 AM
Platinum Member

seating depth is going to vary from rifle to rifle, but generally speaking I try to seat as close to the rifleing as possible because none of my rifles will work as repeaters if I am seating to the rifleing. If you seat bullets touching the rifling, you will likely get a little more pressure so be careful. I always had good luck with H4350 in my 3006 but I always shot 165 or 168 grain bullets.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewilson View Post
what are ya hunting and what distances are you anticipating?
My thoughts exactly. When I think of 30.06 and 180 Partitions, I think of big animals that need to be put down and shots will be under a couple hundred yards, and usually much closer.

If in fact this is the case, then accuracy is secondary to power, for me anyway. I still want reasonable accuracy, and for me that is going to be 6" at 200 yards, i.e., no more than a 3" radius from my aim point, if in fact 200 yards will be my max.

Take your rifle, brokenspoke, and load it as hot as it will go safely with reasonable accuracy if my assumption is correct. Just for future reference, the various 4350s are top notch for your rifle bullet combo, but so is IMR4064, Re22, Re19, and probably now, the latest, Re17.

I wouldn't dwell on seating depth if you are getting reasonable accuracy.

So, what are you going to be hunting?
Old 07-20-2008, 12:43 PM

Well I don't really know what kind of distances I should really be expecting. I'm guessing no more that 300 yards. If everything goes right I'll be going to British Columbia & hunting black bear, elk & moose. I don't have much experience with loading larger calibers. My whitetail rifle is a .270 & thats about as big as I'm used to loading. I primarily load for varmint rifles and I'm always looking for tiny little bughole groups. I know that I'm not going to get that out of a bigger rifle but I'd like to think I should be able to get them at least under an inch group outside to outside of the holes. I'm also trying to work up a load for my Remington 700 BDL 7mm Mag. I have an older one that has a 24" barrel. I want to shoot 160 grain partitions out of it. I shot a group yesterday with 62 grains of IMR 4831 over a CCI 250 and the first two shots were actually in the same hole but the third one strung about an inch & a half low & left. I'm hoping it was because it was around 90 degrees when I was shooting & it was the second group I shot in a row & my barrel was getting pretty hot. I also shot some groups with H4350 out of the 7mm but they weren't that impressive either. I was loading 58 grains of H4350 and shooting right at 2850 fps. I had seated those bullets fairly deep also not knowing what to expect on pressures. Thanx for all the replies so far.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member

May I ask, who are you hunting with (Outfitter)?

I just hunted BC for bear this spring and got 2. I took my 30.06 with 3 different loads that were all the same trajectory to 250. You certainly have opportunities to shoot beyond 300 yards but I wouldn't opt for shooting over 400 with the partition. Not b/c it is not capable, but b/c it can be unpredictable with trajectory. I've seen them print very well out to 300 yards but beyond that they went to hell in a hand basket for unkown reasons.

Moose are plentiful. So are bears. The elk can be tricky. If you go on a combo hunt for the 3 species, then one or even 2 of your tags can be filled incidently, meaning, the outfitter will ask what your primary species is and that is what you will concentrate on. At least that is what I've heard from plenty of references. If you happen upon the other game, then you get lucky if you choose to shoot.

My best, most repeatable one hole group rifle is my 7mag, 24" Shilen, 150 Btips, and 63.0 IMR 4831. But, you should seriously take a look at H1000 and Retumbo for the 160. IMR7828 is also an excellent choice, as is Re22. However, you probably already know that a lot of hunters shy away from the Reloder powders due to a shady reputation regarding temp sensitivity.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:26 PM

Derek, I have family up there & I'll be hunting with them. I'm sure they will do all that they can to give me an opportunity to have a shot at everything I buy a tag for. I'll be hunting on the eastern side of BC along the Fraser River. The only Reloader powder I've ever messed with was Reloader 7 in my .221 Fireball. I never was very impressed with it and seemed like that gun was always harder to get clean after shooting that through it. I'm going to shoot some more groups tonight with some different charges. I have been full length resizing my 7mm brass but am going to try some that are just neck sized tonight. I'm going to back off my 30-06 loads a half grain at a time & see what they do also. Does anybody think different primers would affect accuracy enought that it would matter? I used to use Remington 7 1/2BR primers until I had some problems with some of them shooting prairie dogs. I've been shooting CCI every since. Federal primers are about as scarce as hens teeth around here so they are out of the question. I'll have to look but I know I have some Remington 9 1/2 & maybe some Winchester LRM. I'm going to shoot some tonight see what they do. Wish me luck!!