Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

3 reloads on 7mmRM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2011, 04:13 PM
Gold Member

Re: 3 reloads on 7mmRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods83 View Post
You should just neck size after the first full length size, you should get 3-4 reloads then you can bump the back a bit. Sometimes people overlook simple stuff, have you trimmed your brass yet, its probably stretched way past max col if you haven't.
Well, there really wasn't a problem with the bolt being stiff. I expected that with only neck sizing. I was just getting paranoid about case head separation. The brass is measured and trimmed if needed after every sizing.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:11 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRNA View Post
Where are you measuring on the case? I assume you are measuring the shoulder? If you are measuring the shoulder, then what tool are you using to measure the shoulder and the "bump" you are getting with the shell holder?

I'm measuring from the shoulder to the base ( case head ) . the RCBS precision mic is made to do this , it is cartridge specific so you need to buy one for every cartridge you want to measure . here is link with a picture of one . it is one base with two tops . one top is used to measure brass length to the shoulder ( head space ) . the other top is used to measure your ammos COAL to the ogive of the bullet . it also has a dummy round that you use to find your COAL to the rifling . I don't use it I prefer to use the bullet I'm loading to check this . all you do is put the case in it and screw it together and take your measurement , very simple . the mic comes with instructions . Jim

RCBS Precision Mic 308 Winchester - MidwayUSA
Old 05-16-2011, 06:55 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbires View Post
I'm measuring from the shoulder to the base ( case head ) . the RCBS precision mic is made to do this , it is cartridge specific so you need to buy one for every cartridge you want to measure . here is link with a picture of one . it is one base with two tops . one top is used to measure brass length to the shoulder ( head space ) . the other top is used to measure your ammos COAL to the ogive of the bullet . it also has a dummy round that you use to find your COAL to the rifling . I don't use it I prefer to use the bullet I'm loading to check this . all you do is put the case in it and screw it together and take your measurement , very simple . the mic comes with instructions . Jim

RCBS Precision Mic 308 Winchester - MidwayUSA

Jim,
I will look at the tool in the link. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it!!
Old 08-24-2012, 07:04 PM
Silver Member

I am about to start reloading 7mm RM for the first time. I have reloaded several lesser calibers up to a 270 Win, but have never worried about head spacing or "bumping shoulders". Now I need some experienced advice on this stuff as I move into the belted magnum realm, and maybe it will even change my methodology on lower powered cartridges. I reload for all the usual reasons...accuracy, cost of shooting, and projectile selection.

I've always full case resized. I always just set the sizing die the way the RCBS manual says to do; something like adjust it down to touch the shell holder when in the fully extended position, and then back off 1/8 turn from there, if I remember correctly. (Don't have access to my reloading stuff right now.)

Now with the Mag, I'm sure things will be more critical. Is this method of adjusting the sizing die adequate?

Should I start out by just neck resizing or continue full case resizing?

Bullet seating dies with the micrometer built in seem like a good investment - less trial and error, especially if you are going to use several different bullets.

Resizing dies with the micrometer built in seem like a way to insure consistency if you are concerned about bumping the shoulder. Is this something we need to worry a lot about?

Planning minds want to know!
Old 08-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

For hunting purposes the full length is ok, anything beyond that I reccomend neck sizing and then using a innovative technologies body die for the belted mags when setting the shoulder back. A micrometer seater is not a must, rcbs and redding dies and many others seat .033-.035" deaper for every 360 degree clockwise turn and vise versa.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootin4fun View Post
I am about to start reloading 7mm RM for the first time. I have reloaded several lesser calibers up to a 270 Win, but have never worried about head spacing or "bumping shoulders". Now I need some experienced advice on this stuff as I move into the belted magnum realm, and maybe it will even change my methodology on lower powered cartridges. I reload for all the usual reasons...accuracy, cost of shooting, and projectile selection.

I've always full case resized. I always just set the sizing die the way the RCBS manual says to do; something like adjust it down to touch the shell holder when in the fully extended position, and then back off 1/8 turn from there, if I remember correctly. (Don't have access to my reloading stuff right now.)

Now with the Mag, I'm sure things will be more critical. Is this method of adjusting the sizing die adequate?

Should I start out by just neck resizing or continue full case resizing?

Bullet seating dies with the micrometer built in seem like a good investment - less trial and error, especially if you are going to use several different bullets.

Resizing dies with the micrometer built in seem like a way to insure consistency if you are concerned about bumping the shoulder. Is this something we need to worry a lot about?

Planning minds want to know!
Treat it the same as your 270.
Long ago before I got my Redding dies and still used RCBS FL dies I partial resized till I got some cases that chambered stiff, I then turned my FL die down incrementally till the case chambered easy but I could still feel it when the bolt closed. That was before the match barrel and uber tight custom chamber, the only thing I ever had to do with my cases after initial prep was anneal the necks every so many firings. I still have those cases 10yrs later
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 08-25-2012, 08:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRNA View Post
Well, there really wasn't a problem with the bolt being stiff. I expected that with only neck sizing. I was just getting paranoid about case head separation. The brass is measured and trimmed if needed after every sizing.
Can you feel a thin spot with a bent paper clip just a bit off the bottom of the case?? If you are really paranoid section one of your cases with a dremel. That will tell you exactly when you need to pull your brass from service. I'll do that occasionally and if I get a catch I'll section one for sure.
I'll usually get .060" or more trimming before a 7mag is out to pasture. I've got brass loaded at 8 firings(all fl set up to my ) and they are still going strong.