Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

3 reloads on 7mmRM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2011, 11:08 AM
Gold Member

3 reloads on 7mmRM

Just curious what everyone's opinion is. I have been made really paranoid by some people on this forum that are totally against belted magnums. I am new at hand loading and just wanted some experienced eyes to see my brass and give me their .02. I have loaded these 3 times. Getting a little more stiff to close the bolt when I slide these pieces of brass into the chamber. I just don't want to get into some problem with case head separation. I have looked at this brass for a while, and one minute I think it looks fine and then my paranoia kicks in and I wonder if I know what I'm looking for.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:26 AM
Bronze Member

Re: 3 reloads on 7mmRM

This has happened to me when I started loading at the top end of my 7 Rem Mag. The problem is that full length resizing dies do not form the area right below the belt. Over time this swells from pressure and then it becomes hard to chamber and unload your firearm. The solution I found is to use Innovative Technologies magnum case resizing collet. It uses a seperate die and collet placed over the cartridge to size the entire case up to the belt. It worked wonders and even made it possible to get more reloadings out of each piece of brass without case seperation. Good Luck!
Old 05-15-2011, 12:55 PM
Gold Member

I've never had the problem wingnut is talking about , I've heard of it but never had it . are you full length resizing ? are you measuring how far you are pushing the shoulder back ? I don't think you'll see any problems on the outside of the case , I never have . what you want to do is make something like a dentist pick out of a piece of wire . go inside of the case and pull the pick up and down the case sides just above the belt . if the case is stretching , due to pushing the shoulder back too far , you will be able to feel the pick go into a groove right above the belt is the trouble spot . I push my shoulders back .001 - .003 just like a non belted case . I have 7 rem mag cases that are loaded 7 times with no problems . usually my necks split , or the primer pockets are loose when I junk them . Jim
Old 05-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbires View Post
I've never had the problem wingnut is talking about , I've heard of it but never had it . are you full length resizing ? are you measuring how far you are pushing the shoulder back ? I don't think you'll see any problems on the outside of the case , I never have . what you want to do is make something like a dentist pick out of a piece of wire . go inside of the case and pull the pick up and down the case sides just above the belt . if the case is stretching , due to pushing the shoulder back too far , you will be able to feel the pick go into a groove right above the belt is the trouble spot . I push my shoulders back .001 - .003 just like a non belted case . I have 7 rem mag cases that are loaded 7 times with no problems . usually my necks split , or the primer pockets are loose when I junk them . Jim
Jim,
I have full length sized the cases for two firings. The last sizing was done with a neck sizer. My plan is to just bump the cases when they get too tight to comfortably chamber a fired case. I am thinking of getting a gauge to help me in this. I think it would be pretty difficult to just go by feel and not bump the shoulder back to far. I have heard of the dentist pick/paper clip trick. I will certainly give it a try. Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRNA View Post
Jim,
I have full length sized the cases for two firings. The last sizing was done with a neck sizer. My plan is to just bump the cases when they get too tight to comfortably chamber a fired case. I am thinking of getting a gauge to help me in this. I think it would be pretty difficult to just go by feel and not bump the shoulder back to far. I have heard of the dentist pick/paper clip trick. I will certainly give it a try. Thanks for the reply.

I use a RCBS precision mic to measure my case . I also use the redding competition shell holder set . I can measure my fired case and then use the shellholder +010 , +008 , +006 , +004 , +002 , and watch my headspace change . when I get right around .002 headspace I stop . then the next time I resize brass I know what shellholder to use and I adjust the die down to touch the shell holder . this way I get the same results every time . I can't go by feel on this either , I prefer to measure . I'm guessing the neck sizing only could be your tighter bolt feel . that and your mind worrying about case separation . LOL you'll need to spend a little money but you will be able to know what is going on . if you just resize to push the shoulder back a little the belt on the case means nothing . the belt is nothing to fret about . Jim
Old 05-15-2011, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member

You should just neck size after the first full length size, you should get 3-4 reloads then you can bump the back a bit. Sometimes people overlook simple stuff, have you trimmed your brass yet, its probably stretched way past max col if you haven't.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:48 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbires View Post
I use a RCBS precision mic to measure my case . I also use the redding competition shell holder set . I can measure my fired case and then use the shellholder +010 , +008 , +006 , +004 , +002 , and watch my headspace change . when I get right around .002 headspace I stop . then the next time I resize brass I know what shellholder to use and I adjust the die down to touch the shell holder . this way I get the same results every time . I can't go by feel on this either , I prefer to measure . I'm guessing the neck sizing only could be your tighter bolt feel . that and your mind worrying about case separation . LOL you'll need to spend a little money but you will be able to know what is going on . if you just resize to push the shoulder back a little the belt on the case means nothing . the belt is nothing to fret about . Jim
Where are you measuring on the case? I assume you are measuring the shoulder? If you are measuring the shoulder, then what tool are you using to measure the shoulder and the "bump" you are getting with the shell holder?