Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

2nd test results. Thoughts??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 2nd test results. Thoughts??

In the other thread you said you saw pressures at 46gr, and it was kinda cold out, I would really take a hard look at 45gr just because it should give you a cushion when it warms up again, and still maintain your accuracy, seating depth and maybe a different primer this load could very well go 1 raged hole
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 11-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
In the other thread you said you saw pressures at 46gr, and it was kinda cold out, I would really take a hard look at 45gr just because it should give you a cushion when it warms up again, and still maintain your accuracy, seating depth and maybe a different primer this load could very well go 1 raged hole
I was kind of thinking the same thing. I think I might try that 45.0 and 45.2 again at longer range. 45.5 is technically the OCW, but I'm trying not to get too hung up on that, 45.0 and 45.2 had some of the best results with no pressure signs.....too bad I had that one slight ejector mark at 46.0, that load seemed pretty good.

I may test it again though, just because the brass is on it's second or third firing, and I have had ejector marks in the past, and they could still be showing on the brass. does that make sense? It's the only pressure sign I saw
Old 11-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Platinum Member

yup makes sense to me, besides if it doesn't work for you for one reason or another you'll have gained that experience to aid you down the road
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 11-10-2012, 01:02 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
yup makes sense to me, besides if it doesn't work for you for one reason or another you'll have gained that experience to aid you down the road
thanks! I think when I load and test again (may be a while, bad weather the next week or so), I'll load up some of the 46.0 with the others, but make sure I do a thorough examination of the shells I use for that, so there's no possibility of there being an ejector mark prior to the firing, just to either rule that load out, or keep it in consideration