Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

280AI trim length

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 280AI trim length

Woods.

Yes I was . I knew it was Nosler but had Hornady on my mind and just typed it in like I
had good sense.

Thanks . I corrected it.

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-04-2011, 08:31 AM
Silver Member

My apologies to the original poster and Woods pardon my ignorance but.......When I buy and use Nosler Brass I only have to bump the shoulders back slightly as you would any other round, either prior to or after firing. Could this be a case of me having a chamber cut to SAAMI specs and not even realizing it at the time of chambering as mine was done in late 2009. I'll contact the smith who did the work and see if he recalls. At any rate I'll keep an eye on the brass but so far so good......Thanks again for any clarification.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:08 PM
Gold Member

muley you should not be bumping the shoulders on new cases, just uniform the necks if necessary. On Nosler, Lapua or Norma the necks are typically good so they are ready to load without any prep. Once fired, the cases should not need the shoulder bumped back until the 3rd or 4th reload when they develop a crush fit. If you don't have one, I would highly recommend a Hornady Headspace tool

Hornady Lock-N-Load Headspace Gage 5 Bushing Set with Comparator - MidwayUSA

that fits on your caliper and hits the shoulder on the datum line

that will tell you how much the brass shoulder is moving forward on each firing. If you use Nosler brass then it will tell you if you have an older chamber by using it on new Nosler 280AI brass and some of your fired cases and comparing the 2 measurements.

If you are asking if the Nosler brass or your particular chamber will have an influence on this sequence, then no it will not. The Nosler brass will expand most of the way to the shoulder whether you have an older 280AI chamber or a newer SAAMI one.

In all likelihood you have a SAAMI chamber and should be able to use either the Nosler 280AI brass or any of the 280 Rem caliber brass.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Silver Member

Woods thank you for the response. Actually I use the same tool you referenced which has helped out quite a bit. I must have the SAAMI as well as maybe a bit of a short shouldered chamber if there is such a thing. For some reason the Nosler brass comes with a pretty tight crush fit already so I size them back about .002 or so to lessen the amount of force on the bolt handle. Maybe I'm wrong but this seems to work for me. The rifle shoots great, brass life is good so I was just going with it. On the once fired they barely move so really I'm not doing much the second time around. In fact the Redding dies I have, I had to have a bit shaved off the bottom to actually be able to move the shoulders at all from my fired cases. Thanks again for your help.......
Old 05-05-2011, 08:47 AM
Bronze Member

I am confused now, so please be patient. I am having a .280AI built now, it will have the "old" chamber. My redding s bushing dies will work with this chamber but the nosler brass I have won't? Is the only way to get brass fireform for this chamber? Thanks for the help
Old 05-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayR View Post
I am confused now, so please be patient. I am having a .280AI built now, it will have the "old" chamber. My redding s bushing dies will work with this chamber but the nosler brass I have won't? Is the only way to get brass fireform for this chamber? Thanks for the help

If you are having a 280AI chambered to the old dimensions (curious, how do you know?), then you are correct. The die can be adjusted to work for either chamber unless if could not be adjusted down far enough to fit a newer dimension chamber.

You should get regular 280 Remington caliber brass and fireform it. The Nosler 280AI brass will have too much headspace in an older chamber.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:16 PM

Ok gents, time to resurrect this one for some more discussion. I'm one of the thoroughly puzzled 280ai newbie owners. I bought a 280ai two years ago, used. The guy I bought it from provided the reamer specs and I believe this to be a Saami spec reamer. I've been loading with Nosler brass. I usually neck size but after my third loading, cases were tight in the chamber and the bolt was tight.

I set up a redding 280 imp 40* body die per the instructions (to the shell holder), lubed a case a ran it through. It was extremely tight on the case body. I pulled the case and tried it in the action- bolt didn't come close to closing!

I turned the die a quarter turn down and did it again, still would fit in the chamber! I inked the shoulder and neck with a sharpie and went back to the press. Turned the die another quarter turn down. This time the press was camming over hard. There was no mark on the blackened shoulder. Tried the brass in the chamber- no fit!

I sacrificed a shell holder and sanded a few thousands off it (about .008). This allowed me to still turn the die down and not cam so much. Relubed, resized again and got just the slightest ring in the sharpie mark on the brass at the just below the shoulder neck junction. Tried this in the chamber and it was extremely tight but the bolt closed. A little more sharpie removed from the brass after this.

Took a few more thousands off the shell holder, turned die another 1/8 turn down and repeated another run through the die. This time the die showed good contact with the sharpie coating the shoulder. Put the brass in the chamber and the bolt closed as if it were new brass!

Earlier in this post I read per Dave Manson "Finally, re-loading. Don't use dies made to the old spec to re-size cases fired in SAAMI-spec chambers. The few re-size dies I checked that were made to the "old" spec would not reach the shoulder of a case fired in the SAAMI chamber."

Is it possible I have redding dies made to old spec? I tried a redding type s full length sizer with the same results as the body die that came out of a competition set. Is there a way to know?

An additional note. In my .223AI, new parent case .223 Rem brass has a "crush fit" which I was told is by design to ensure a snug fit of the brass for fireforming. With my 280ai, no crush or snugness of factory new 280Rem brass.

Any ideas about what the heck I have going on? Thanks!! Whew!