Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

280AI new barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 07:25 AM
Bronze Member

280AI new barrel

Question for the 280 ai experts. I should be getting my re-barreled rifle back soon and was wondering if I need a new die set. I have redding dies that are about 15yrs old before chambering was made to saami spec. I understand that it differs a little from original design, and smith said it will be saami spec reamer. Will be talking to smith about this but wanted some informed opinions, thanks.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 280AI new barrel

I am certainly no 280AI expert! The change (or not) as it went to a SAAMI spec cartridge has generated a lot of debate. Specifically, is it indeed a change or is it simply confusion related to how the case is indexed when measured?? This thread has some great info, and a lot of it is conflicting

280 ack imp 40 degrees vs Nosler brass

You could call or email the die manufacturer to see what they say. If you have a way to measure headspace you can give your FL or body die a run and see if you have enough clearance to bump the shoulder. If you do, you are GTG.