Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

280 AI, Redding type S bushing help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Silver Member

280 AI, Redding type S bushing help!

Ok so I got a set of reddings type S bushing dies for SAAMI 280 AI (I'm using nosler brass). I measured it right at the mouth and got .309, just a touch below that was .308, and it was the same for 2 cartridges (I'm measuring some of nosler's custom competition 150gr E-tip ammo). So should I just get a .307, .306, or both? What are you guys using? Thanks!
Old 09-12-2013, 05:36 PM
Silver Member

If you're using them in a hunting magazine fed gun, for hunting and run them though the magazine after firing the rifle during recoil. I like to subtract 0.002" or 0.003" from a loaded round so that during recoil the bullet wont ever move when fed from the magazine. I've owned a 280 AI for over a decade now and my loads have never moved and shoot 3/8" groups with various loads using 150 gr.-175 gr bullets.

If it's a single feed gun, then the 0.001" is what a lot of the bench rest guys seem to use. As the brass is fired it becomes thicker with each firing, so you may need to change to a larger size bushing later on depending on whether or not your brass lasts that long.

"Only accurate rifle are interesting" Col. Townsend Whelen