Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

280 AI modified cases for Hornady/Stoney pt. tool

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 12:49 AM
Bronze Member

280 AI modified cases for Hornady/Stoney pt. tool

Gentlemen:
Does anyone have an opinion as to whether or not one can use the 280 Remington "modified case" for the Hornaday/Stoneypoint OAL tool to get bullet seating depth with the 280AI round? I can't seem to find anyone that sells a modified 280AI case and I have neither the time,skills,or equipment to make one! LOL
I appreciate any thoughts or direction you may have to offer.
Take care.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:55 AM
Silver Member

Re: 280 AI modified cases for Hornady/Stoney pt. tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselthis View Post
Gentlemen:
Does anyone have an opinion as to whether or not one can use the 280 Remington "modified case" for the Hornaday/Stoneypoint OAL tool to get bullet seating depth with the 280AI round? I can't seem to find anyone that sells a modified 280AI case and I have neither the time,skills,or equipment to make one! LOL
I appreciate any thoughts or direction you may have to offer.
Take care.

Yes a regular 280 case will work. If you want a 280AI send me two pieces of your once fired brass and I will do it for you. I bought the stuff to do it myself. PM me if you are interested.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7STDUBBERU View Post
Yes a regular 280 case will work. If you want a 280AI send me two pieces of your once fired brass and I will do it for you. I bought the stuff to do it myself. PM me if you are interested.
Hornady, who bought the rights to the Stoney Point OAL tool and renamed it to the Lock-N-Load OAL gauge, will also modify any case you send them. However, you'll probably do better with 7STDUBBERU.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Gold Member

I'm in Montana, will do it for you also if you want. pm me if you want .
Old 04-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Silver Member

I've got the same set-up and have the same problem with my .22-250AI. Also had the same problem with my 7 RUM before they offered a "modified case" for it. Anyway, I started splitting the necks on resized brass and using them to find seating length to lands. This method seems to work better for me, especially in my rifles with tight chambers. I still use the bullet comparators but rarely use the Hornady OAL tool.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Bronze Member

MTBullet: Thanks a million for the kind offer. 7STDubberu graciously offered as well and I will send it to him as per previous pm. I appreciate your off greatly!

Doug, I gues I'm senile but I've never had any luck w/ using that method. The problem is that I'm too "THICK" to know what I'm looking at when it comes out of the chamber. I HAVE had some success using a couple of small wooden dowels to "sandwich" the bullet back and forth until I feel resistance in the rifling, then use a rubber band around the the scope and the dowel touching the bullet base to hold it there while I mark the one in the barrel. Crude, but all I have until I get one made. I just got the gun last week and fireformed 40 cases from RP 280 Rem factory ammo and I have 100 pcs. of Nosler brass ready to load up, but this being a wildcat and a custom chamber job to boot, I'm proceeding cautiously. I wanna hear "boom-kawhop" and not "kaboomm-ohshit!"

Thanks again to everyone here for your willingness to help and share what you know.

Off to the range this morning to begin work w/ 168G Bergers & Retumbo and 140g Bergers & H4831sc. yaaay!
ceeya
Old 04-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Silver Member

If you've purchased the tool you may as well purchase the appropriate tap and tap drill so you can make your own modified cases from once fired cases. Small investment compared to what Hornady asks for their generic ones.