Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

.280 AI controversy explained ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Gold Member

Re: .280 AI controversy explained ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods View Post
All I know is that when mine is fully expanded it is longer than the accepted version

It's just getting to the fully expanded condition in the older models that is the problem
Woods, You posted on another site that you shot Nolser 280AI brass and had no problems case you forget

woods Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Houston
I have loaded a lot of Nosler 280AI brass and now some Nosler 280 rem brass in my 280AI. The 280AI brass developed do-nuts and the regular Nosler 280 rem brass does not.

Go figure.

Both are good brass but I prefer the Nosler brass that is the regular 280 rem, not just because of the do-nuts but because it does not need to be trimmed like the 280AI brass does. Perhaps pushing the shoulder farther forward on the regular 280 rem brass reduces neck length expansion.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM H View Post
Woods, You posted on another site that you shot Nolser 280AI brass and had no problems case you forget

woods Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Houston
I have loaded a lot of Nosler 280AI brass and now some Nosler 280 rem brass in my 280AI. The 280AI brass developed do-nuts and the regular Nosler 280 rem brass does not.

Go figure.

Both are good brass but I prefer the Nosler brass that is the regular 280 rem, not just because of the do-nuts but because it does not need to be trimmed like the 280AI brass does. Perhaps pushing the shoulder farther forward on the regular 280 rem brass reduces neck length expansion.
DH, now you've done it!
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
.280 AI controversy explained ...-thumbs-up-sign-thumb8413541_zps85645168.jpg  

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:42 PM
Gold Member

You guys are getting pitiful

That thread is 6 years old and was a discussion BEFORE the facts came out about Nosler, Remington and SAAMI. Sure I had flattened primers but was not sure about the cause until the Gunsmith Talk thread in 2010. I was using the Nosler 280AI as I said and the Nosler 280 Rem as I said.

Mentioned the do-nuts but not the flattened primers or excess headspace, figured it was a bad box.

Now I know better

Must be getting desperate for facts to do a search that far back, especially as hard as it to search 24hr

Why don't you read this thread and refute the facts I have posted'

OR GET A LIFE
Old 08-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Silver Member

Just for the record the nosler 280 Ack. brass I necked up and fireformed to fit my chamber got donuts also. I have 100 pieces not all got donuts but some did. I also have new in the box 280 ACK. brass I have not used yet and would be willing to trade for some Nosler regular 280 Remington. I have to fireform anyway and would rather form regular 280 Rem. because I don't have a Nosler 280 Ackley Improved chamber. I have a 280 Ackley chamber.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnwhip View Post
I have a 280 Ackley chamber.
Or do you?
( puts little finger of right hand to bottom lip and laughs with evil intent)
Old 08-08-2013, 10:55 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods View Post
You guys are getting pitiful

That thread is 6 years old and was a discussion BEFORE the facts came out about Nosler, Remington and SAAMI. Sure I had flattened primers but was not sure about the cause until the Gunsmith Talk thread in 2010. I was using the Nosler 280AI as I said and the Nosler 280 Rem as I said.

Mentioned the do-nuts but not the flattened primers or excess headspace, figured it was a bad box.

Now I know better

Must be getting desperate for facts to do a search that far back, especially as hard as it to search 24hr

Why don't you read this thread and refute the facts I have posted'

OR GET A LIFE
Woods, that post was dated 4-10-09 and you did quit using Nolser 280AI brass reason was the donut but you had problems with that chamber so how do you blame things on Nolser 280AI brass.

280 to 280AI brass issue. Suggestions wanted. - 24hourcampfire

Some of your first post where about how tight that chamber was.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:46 AM
Gold Member

I feel honored that you are taking the time to do searches on my past posts, even if you are looking for ammunition to attack me (guess you feel you are losing the battle on the issues in THIS thread)

Yes I do have a tight chamber. There is very little expansion in the case body but the ONLY reason that creates a problem is because my Redding Body Die does not have small enough interior dimensions to size the pressure ring. The problem is with the die, not the chamber

Do you have a problem with tight custom chambers?

So you found a thread about the do-nuts I developed in 280AI brass (appears Tnwhip has the same problem) where I clearly said I preferred 280 Rem brass, claimed that I had said I "had no problems"

Now you found a thread where I attempted to explain how a problem can occur if you have a tight chamber and a large die

Keep trying, maybe the 3rd time will be the charm for you, although it does begin to appear like this is becoming a personal attack on me. Typical modus operandi for liberals; can't fight in the arena of factual information so attack the credibility of the other party

Just like your buddy STRAW MAN FEENIX.

This thread would work a lot better if you would bring personal experience with the 280AI like Cockcroft, Tnwhip and I. If you don't have any direct personal experience then the thread would work a lot better if you would STFU