Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

.280 AI controversy explained ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2014, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: .280 AI controversy explained ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner665 View Post
I just read all of that...and I don't see what is so confusing.

There are two reamers, gauges, etc because some makers are measuring to a different spot...the neck/shoulder junction or the .375 datum line...Ackely used the neck/shoulder junction...SAAMI uses the .375 datum line...the datum line (down on the shoulder) is .014" closer to the head of the case than the neck/shoulder junction.

That could be all wrong...but thats what I get out of reading all this stuff...I don't have a 280AI just yet (very soon, with a Nosler chamber)
That sounds like it could be a very good theory. I'm interested to hear others' thoughts on it.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I just read all of that...and I don't see what is so confusing.

There are two reamers, gauges, etc because some makers are measuring to a different spot...the neck/shoulder junction or the .375 datum line...Ackely used the neck/shoulder junction...SAAMI uses the .375 datum line...the datum line (down on the shoulder) is .014" closer to the head of the case than the neck/shoulder junction.

That could be all wrong...but thats what I get out of reading all this stuff...I don't have a 280AI just yet (very soon, with a Nosler chamber)
You need to recheck your numbers. The difference in length between the Ackley version and the SAAMI version is .0142" measured at identical locations. Comparing the Ackley neck shoulder junction to the SAAMI datum will show about .048" difference.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:46 PM
Silver Member

Or...another way of looking at it...is if the SAAMI round is "wrong"...

The .375 datum line on a 280 Remington is .014" shorter than the .375 datum line on a 280 Ackley.

Which may well be the case...

EDIT:
No...thats not it...the 280 Reminton headspace measurement is ~2.10"-2.11"...thats .040" difference.

I stand by my previous statement
Old 06-03-2014, 10:06 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
You need to recheck your numbers. The difference in length between the Ackley version and the SAAMI version is .0142" measured at identical locations. Comparing the Ackley neck shoulder junction to the SAAMI datum will show about .048" difference.

I was only going on what I read here...don't have any components to measure at this time.

Which "identical location" are you referring to?

It stands to reason I guess...it went downhill the moment Remington got involved...just further proof that Remington could tear up an anvil with a Q-Tip...Nosler is a good company, it sucks that they followed Remingtons lead on this.

Yes...I blame Remington...and Nosler...but mostly Remington!

I don't guess there's any real damage done...the .014" in capacity won't be missed (not enough to matter)...but it sucks that all the confusion had to play out.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Which "identical location" are you referring to?
Any one you choose, it doesn't matter.

Quote:
It stands to reason I guess...it went downhill the moment Remington got involved...just further proof that Remington could tear up an anvil with a Q-Tip...Nosler is a good company, it sucks that they followed Remingtons lead on this.

Yes...I blame Remington...and Nosler...but mostly Remington!
What does Remington have to do with any of this?
Old 06-03-2014, 10:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post

What does Remington have to do with any of this?
Because they're the ones who originally shortened it by .014" if the article posted here is correct...they did it in the custom shop years ago...claiming they believed it was necessary in order to safely fire 280 Remington in the 280AI chamber...when the Ackley was submitted to SAAMI, they (SAAMI) picked up on that....and voted for, and approved, it...and we have the 280 Nosler Ackley Imroved

History proves that Remington cannot make a good decision where the 280 is concerned...they loaded it too weak to meet its potential right from the start...renamed it a few times, etc...Remington is bad luck for the 280 in any form.