Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

.280 AI controversy explained ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 05:42 PM
Bronze Member

Re: .280 AI controversy explained ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttermilk View Post
I have shot Nosler 280AI brass in a chamber that was the "traditional" Ackley chamber with zero issues.

I also fireformed R-P 280 Rem brass in this chamber with zero issues.

Regards,
Rog
As have I in 4 different chambers. Measured far to many cases now and after many firings they are no longer than newnosler280ai brass. And if my chamber is somehow .014 short as in saami why do all standard 280rem brass and ammo chamber just fine with no feel that a .014 crush would create ? I guess that's why we are having this discussion. A simple nogo gauge check will hopfully explain a lot more if they ever arrive way down here
Old 08-13-2013, 07:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods View Post
woods
Cockcroft
Tnwhip

3 and counting in just our little sample
Yawn
Buttermilk
Tom H

3 and counting for the "no problem side" thus far ...

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:59 PM
Platinum Member

Once again. In the interest of safety I am going to brake my silence and throw one more thing out that should put this to bed.

After talking to the reamer manufactures. To get a good, clear answer to this rodeo. I have narrowed it down to one simple thing.

"THERE ARE TWO DIFFERENT GO GAGES FOR THE TWO DIFFERENT TYPES OF BRASS/chambers".

IF YOU INTEND TO USE THE NOSLER AMMO/BRASS IN YOUR 280 AI you must/should use the matching
head space gage for that chamber.

IF YOU INTEND TO FIRE FORM THE 280 rem brass in your chamber you need to use the 280 rem go gage with .004 crush.

There is .014 to .019 difference in the chambers and factory ammo.

Simply put, There is a difference in the brass/chambers or they would not require two different go gages. To use the wrong gage or brass, ammo would/could be dangerous.

In my opinion If you are mixing brass and have gotten away with it, you have been lucky.

Armed with this information, Everyone is own there own.

J E CUSTOM
Old 08-14-2013, 05:21 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
Yawn
Buttermilk
Tom H

3 and counting for the "no problem side" thus far ...
I'm definatly on this "noproblems " list but I find far to much conflicting information so Im still sitting on the fence as to the actual debate.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:36 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawn View Post
I'm definatly on this "noproblems " list but I find far to much conflicting information so Im still sitting on the fence as to the actual debate.
2 1/2 on the "no problems" side

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
Once again. In the interest of safety I am going to brake my silence and throw one more thing out that should put this to bed.

After talking to the reamer manufactures. To get a good, clear answer to this rodeo. I have narrowed it down to one simple thing.

"THERE ARE TWO DIFFERENT GO GAGES FOR THE TWO DIFFERENT TYPES OF BRASS/chambers".

IF YOU INTEND TO USE THE NOSLER AMMO/BRASS IN YOUR 280 AI you must/should use the matching

IF YOU INTEND TO FIRE FORM THE 280 rem brass in your chamber you need to use the 280 rem go gage with .004 crush.

Simply put, There is a difference in the brass/chambers or they would not require two different go gages. To use the wrong gage or brass, ammo would/could be dangerous.

In my opinion If you are mixing brass and have gotten away with it, you have been lucky.

J E CUSTOM
4 on the "problems" side

Old 08-14-2013, 05:42 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post

J E CUSTOM
Jerry thanks for putting in some time here but its really just more of the same. Yes there are two sets of gauges , shown here in the only attempt to prove or disprove the difference that Iv been able to find.
https://gunsmithtalk.wordpress.com/2...eadspace-test/
So have they made a mistake?If so how have they got it wrong?
Everything else on both sides is just anecdotal to date.

But assuming there is a difference then using the old chamber will carry possible case head separation risks etc if using nosler 280ai brasss/ammo but if using the supposed shorter saami chamber then any brass or ammo should be a good fit ( nosler) or slightly to long for the chamber (all standard 280rem )so the only issue would be that the bolt may not close?If I understand this corectly using the shorter saami should carry no risk as if the bolt will close on the new brass then it should be held snugly by the shorter chamber and give no case stretch?
None of which should be a substitute for good fireforming practive of course.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:50 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods View Post
2 1/2 on the "no problems" side

4 on the "problems" side

no Im a full vote for "no problems because I simply dont have any after many years and 1500 odd rounds. Actually it could be 3 from me given the others Iv dealt with and it would be 4 but I'm not sure what reamer Kimber claim to use in their 280ai.
I just don't have a firm opinion on the difference yet.But Im still digging