Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

.280 AI controversy explained ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 06:51 PM
Gold Member

Re: .280 AI controversy explained ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM H View Post
Woods, I have 280AI and I've followed your post on Nosler,24Hr and here and I've seen your groups.

You had according to your post no problems with Nosler 280AI brass and I have no problems with it and you can check my post here my wife has 280AI chamber 2007 and I have no problems chambering Nosler 280AI. Like you I had to fire form brass with that rifle and that rifle wasn't build to SAAMI 280AI spec but Manson reamer was used.

I'm the guy that loads 280AI with 160gr AB @ 56gr/R-17 @ 3046fps.

Had I not be able to shoot Nosler brass in my wife's 280AI it wouldn't of bother me since I fire form enough brass and I'm sure you did. When my rifle was build I send along dummy rds for throating using Nosler 280AI brass and if there was a problem first one I'd be talking to is the gunsmith.

I think had some followed your post like I did and reason I did along with JD338 on Nosler forum was for loading data that you both had and then your posting of those three cases is little odd. I think you should of given little more history on your 280AI.

Good part is your still shooting that 280AI and I'm enjoying mine also.
Tom

Do you measure your case shoulder expansion on new Nosler 280AI cases? If so, how much expansion do you get?

56 gr RL17 with the Nosler 160 gr Accubond is exactly what I use (Fed215M primers)

The problem is not that anyone CAN NOT shoot the Nosler 280AI brass in any gun, it is just that it will cause flattened primers and probably more thinning at the pressure ring. Once it is fire formed, it does not matter. Don't expect to be able to chamber a fire formed case from an older Ackley chamber in a SAAMI chamber.

What 3 cases are you talking about? Do you have a link or explanation?

I believe I outlined my 280AI history in post #4
Old 08-09-2013, 10:48 PM
Silver Member

Dang! Now y'all have me paranoid about my 280AI. Mine was built with the new Saami chamber (PTG reamer) because I want to use the nosler 280AI brass. Just out of curiosity I'll measure some new unfired cases and some fired cases and post the results tomorrow. Regardless of whether you have the old chamber or the new, it is a great cartridge!
Old 08-12-2013, 09:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
Sorry you feel that way, but that's your problem not mine.

I never said I had a problem and needed help..

Frankly my dear I don't give a damn.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnwhip View Post
Frankly my dear I don't give a damn.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Platinum Member

what kinda bothers me a lot about this .014" issue is not so much the case length, but a couple other issues.

* sooner or later somebody is going to try loading charges designed for the older chamber. Might work just fine, and might send you to the emergency room with the short chamber.

* assuming you have a real Ackley chamber, and not the imposter. You decide to save time and use the Nosler brass that is made out of spec. Shoots just fine, but there's another issue that's not been brought up in this thread. Even if the bullet is seated so far out that it touches the lands, you are going to erode the chamber neck just in front of the throat. Kinda like shooting a lot of 22 shorts in a long rifle chamber. How much is hard to say, but you will.
gary
Old 08-13-2013, 12:02 PM
Silver Member

I have shot Nosler 280AI brass in a chamber that was the "traditional" Ackley chamber with zero issues.

I also fireformed R-P 280 Rem brass in this chamber with zero issues.

Regards,
Rog
Old 08-13-2013, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnwhip
One thing about it. My fault, your fault, my gunsmiths fault, nobody's fault. My rifle is not a SAMMI chamber. it is .014 longer, just like a lot of 280 Ack. rifles out there. I except that fact. I will fireform all my cases out of 280 or 270 brass just like they have been doing for 50 years. If others rifles can use the Nosler 280 Ack.IMP. brass that is fine with me. My case holds a little more powder, Na Na Na. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post

You sir is a better man for accepting the fact and more importantly recognizing the fault.

I originally considered .280 AI but went for .270 AI instead and couldn't be happier.
I recant my above comment as I am obviously wrong to give such a compliment.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.