Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

.270 load near max?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Silver Member

.270 load near max?

I have been working up loads for my 2 .270's and right now using a 130 gr. Hornady Interbond and 60 grs of 4831sc with a large rifle cci primer I am getting good groups and no signs of pressure. I'm at max in most of my books. Do you think I should keep going little by little or be happy with what I got. I just got some 130 gr accubonds to try also the 140 accubonds with 57.5 grs of 4831sc with the large rifle cci primer shoot real good. I'm going o try 58 grs next but if no pressure should I keep going? I'm using Sako guns if that helps . Thanks for any input.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Bronze Member

Re: .270 load near max?

Do you have a chronograph? Knowing the velocity will help judge if you're pushing the envelope. I think ultimately the pressure signs will tell whether you're too hot.

My 270 loads are above book loads with the amount of powder and fps but I'm able to get 6 loads out of my brass.

Whether you should keep going is up to you, the game your hunting, range, sanity, etc.

Also leave some room in case you find yourself shooting it hot temps after load development.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

IF you choose to proceed, make sure to work up in small incriments. And keep an eye out for any signs of pressure.
Not all rifles will meet or exceed book max. But I like to see where I stand with every rifle I load for, so I load my rifles up (slowly) to the point I see signs of pressure durring load development, then back off to my most accurate ''hot load'' that I can shoot safely even on a 115 degree day.
EXAMPLE, I shot 60-thru-64 gr of RL-19 in groups of 5, pushing a 140 Accubond in my 270wsm. I can live with ''semi cratered'' primers, but flat, or pancaked primers make me nervous . 64gr gave me a semi stiff bolt, and kinda flat primers. So I stuck with 62gr as my most accurate, and safe all weather load. I hunt the brakes of the Snake River in Hells Canyon in August where temps can exceed 115 degrees. But I also hunt the Blue Mountains , and the Eagle Caps in late Nov. where -5 to-20 can occur. RL-19 seems to be kinda temp sensitive, so while 64gr may work fine in Nov, I might blow myself up in Aug.

All in all its a personal choice. No one should tell you to load above max, especially if your happy with what youve got.
I have a bit different personality, and will always wonder if I can accurately, and safely push them harder. So that is why I load the way I do. I like to see what I can get out of a rifle, and exactly where I stand when choosing my final load.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 07-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Silver Member

I plan on shooting thru a corno next month. I think I am going to let the temp cool of a bit. It was hot lst time I shot and the barrels were scallding hot after 3 shots.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:24 AM
Platinum Member

gonewest,

Velocity will tell you where your pressure is. As far as cratered and flat primers go they are some of the poorest indicators of pressure. Each rifle is unique in these two features.

It takes so much pressure to achieve so much velocity.

Follow Winmag's cautions and watch the velocity. I'd stop at the first of two points.
  1. Extraction becomes a problem or
  2. 3200 FPS is reached.
The reason for the second limiting point is that the is no reason for a 270 Win to shoot faster than that. It makes the WSM feel bad.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
gonewest,

Velocity will tell you where your pressure is. As far as cratered and flat primers go they are some of the poorest indicators of pressure. Each rifle is unique in these two features.

It takes so much pressure to achieve so much velocity.

Follow Winmag's cautions and watch the velocity. I'd stop at the first of two points.
  1. Extraction becomes a problem or
  2. 3200 FPS is reached.
The reason for the second limiting point is that the is no reason for a 270 Win to shoot faster than that. It makes the WSM feel bad.

Why Roy, are you feeling well? I belive thats the most conservitave info Ive ever hered you give conserning loading for the great 270......(one of my favorite calibers too, by the way)
Arent you the same guy who was using a drop tube and a jack hammer to cram enough powder into the 270 case to push your wildcat IWK's at light speed?

Oh ya its you. Just read the smart ***** comment concerning the 270wsm...... Nevermind

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 07-08-2010, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

Yea, I'm getting old!!!