Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

.260 Rem. & Superformance Powder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: .260 Rem. & Superformance Powder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnwill View Post
How does what you just said apply to SF powder? If the variation level is extremely low how is that too much risk? They can have the best powder and million dollar equipment, my reloads with the floor sweepings shoot better than any factory I have ever tried. Not trying to get in a pi**ing match with you, but your logic makes no sense.
To the op, if you are interested in the data, shoot me a pm.
Ok...ya got apples and ya got oranges....

If the variability of the powders performance is a NARROW spectrum...all one has to do is Underload or Overload from that spectrum band and POW...you got trouble. If the spectrum is WIDE you can load with a teaspoon or a snow shovel...and the only difference is the BANG ( and of course the velocity) when it goes off.!! The factory can drop powder exactly as much as they wish....plus or minus a fly speck.

Im not saying performance powder is DEFINITELY like that...but it may be the reason.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:03 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
Ok...ya got apples and ya got oranges....

If the variability of the powders performance is a NARROW spectrum...all one has to do is Underload or Overload from that spectrum band and POW...you got trouble. If the spectrum is WIDE you can load with a teaspoon or a snow shovel...and the only difference is the BANG ( and of course the velocity) when it goes off.!! The factory can drop powder exactly as much as they wish....plus or minus a fly speck.

Im not saying performance powder is DEFINITELY like that...but it may be the reason.
My Harrels powder measure drops Superperformance to .05 gr accuracy. The powder is a bit slower than H-4831 but should be careful because more can fit.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
My Harrels powder measure drops Superperformance to .05 gr accuracy. The powder is a bit slower than H-4831 but should be careful because more can fit.

Could very well be. I havent tried it and dont want to try it.

Try substituting a charge of 4831 with the same weight of SP. See what it acts like.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:26 PM
Silver Member

My understanding is that the SP powder we buy on the shelf is not the same mix as what Hornady loads in the SP line of cartridges. Just like Federal does not publish load data for their factory ammo. Hornady does list some SP loads for various cartridges in their reloading guide though.

I did just buy a jar of SP powder the other day though to try in my Creedmoor as my favorite powder OF ALL TIME H4350 cannot be found anywhere in the USA right now! Or my beloved Federal 210M primers either!
Old 01-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farout View Post
My understanding is that the SP powder we buy on the shelf is not the same mix as what Hornady loads in the SP line of cartridges. Just like Federal does not publish load data for their factory ammo. Hornady does list some SP loads for various cartridges in their reloading guide though.

I did just buy a jar of SP powder the other day though to try in my Creedmoor as my favorite powder OF ALL TIME H4350 cannot be found anywhere in the USA right now! Or my beloved Federal 210M primers either!
Thats EXACTLY what I was alluding to. Ive been told by people in the business that powder for RESALE never was the same stuff as in "factory" ammo.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:59 PM
Bronze Member

I have tried this in my 300wsm but its really really dirty...has anyone else experienced how dirty it is?
Old 01-12-2013, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweek1142 View Post
I have tried this in my 300wsm but its really really dirty...has anyone else experienced how dirty it is?
Not to bad in my 25wssm with 100 gr. sierra's. As dirty as 4895 or 4350, no worse.