close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Reply

.260 Rem. & Superformance Powder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 01-10-2013, 12:54 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Denham Springs,Louisiana
Posts: 464
.260 Rem. & Superformance Powder

Has Anyone Tried This Powder? Hornady Will Not Print Any Load Data For What I Believe They Fear They May Take Away From Their CM Cartridge. They Stated That This Powder Only Works In Specific Cartridges. I Can Only Think They May Have Tried It And Found It To Be Very Good And Don't Want To Publish Any Data. What Do You All Think?
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 01-10-2013, 10:28 AM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2005
    Location: East Tennessee
    Posts: 27
    Re: .260 Rem. & Superformance Powder

    A buddy has been testing Superformance in his custom 260 Rem. It has a 26" Obermyer barrel and the velocities that he has been able to achieve with a 140 A-max are remarkable. I don't have the data handy but can get it if you are interested.
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 01-10-2013, 12:40 PM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Mar 2012
    Location: Wolfesville, MD
    Posts: 842
    Re: .260 Rem. & Superformance Powder

    I've shot this powder in several other cartridges including the 270 WSM and the 7SAUM with very good results
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 01-10-2013, 12:42 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts: 2,450
    Re: .260 Rem. & Superformance Powder

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sargesniper View Post
    Has Anyone Tried This Powder? Hornady Will Not Print Any Load Data For What I Believe They Fear They May Take Away From Their CM Cartridge. They Stated That This Powder Only Works In Specific Cartridges. I Can Only Think They May Have Tried It And Found It To Be Very Good And Don't Want To Publish Any Data. What Do You All Think?

    They dont wish to publish anything that some dunderhead will TRY and copy and thusly THEY end up in a lawsuit.
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 01-10-2013, 01:53 PM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2005
    Location: East Tennessee
    Posts: 27
    Re: .260 Rem. & Superformance Powder

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
    They dont wish to publish anything that some dunderhead will TRY and copy and thusly THEY end up in a lawsuit.
    Isn't loading data in all the manuals published by the bullet/powder manufactures so that us "dunderheads" can use it as a guide? Why would data for the Superformance powder be any different? Just because the data is published in the manuals does not make it is safe in every gun. If you don't know how to inturpret the pressure signs, then you shouldn't be reloading anyway. Superformance is not some black magic powder that can only be loaded by the manufacture.
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 01-10-2013, 02:49 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts: 2,450
    Re: .260 Rem. & Superformance Powder

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tnwill View Post
    Isn't loading data in all the manuals published by the bullet/powder manufactures so that us "dunderheads" can use it as a guide? Why would data for the Superformance powder be any different? Just because the data is published in the manuals does not make it is safe in every gun. If you don't know how to inturpret the pressure signs, then you shouldn't be reloading anyway. Superformance is not some black magic powder that can only be loaded by the manufacture.
    Tell the guys that are having primers popping back....soot streaks all over their casings....split casings...etc. If...IF the variation level for SF powders is extremely low...you will never seen data given out to the free world....too much risk. And dont think for a second that the powder you buy in a 1 lb can or an 8 lb jug is identical to what companys are loading into their ammo. They load the very best using multi million dollar equipment to make their ammo, whereas "we" get the floor sweepings to reload with.
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 01-10-2013, 05:22 PM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2005
    Location: East Tennessee
    Posts: 27
    Re: .260 Rem. & Superformance Powder

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
    Tell the guys that are having primers popping back....soot streaks all over their casings....split casings...etc. If...IF the variation level for SF powders is extremely low...you will never seen data given out to the free world....too much risk. And dont think for a second that the powder you buy in a 1 lb can or an 8 lb jug is identical to what companys are loading into their ammo. They load the very best using multi million dollar equipment to make their ammo, whereas "we" get the floor sweepings to reload with.
    How does what you just said apply to SF powder? If the variation level is extremely low how is that too much risk? They can have the best powder and million dollar equipment, my reloads with the floor sweepings shoot better than any factory I have ever tried. Not trying to get in a pi**ing match with you, but your logic makes no sense.
    To the op, if you are interested in the data, shoot me a pm.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes



    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC