Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

.260 Rem. & Superformance Powder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 12:54 AM
Silver Member

.260 Rem. & Superformance Powder

Has Anyone Tried This Powder? Hornady Will Not Print Any Load Data For What I Believe They Fear They May Take Away From Their CM Cartridge. They Stated That This Powder Only Works In Specific Cartridges. I Can Only Think They May Have Tried It And Found It To Be Very Good And Don't Want To Publish Any Data. What Do You All Think?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:28 AM

Re: .260 Rem. & Superformance Powder

A buddy has been testing Superformance in his custom 260 Rem. It has a 26" Obermyer barrel and the velocities that he has been able to achieve with a 140 A-max are remarkable. I don't have the data handy but can get it if you are interested.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:40 PM
Gold Member

I've shot this powder in several other cartridges including the 270 WSM and the 7SAUM with very good results
Old 01-10-2013, 12:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargesniper View Post
Has Anyone Tried This Powder? Hornady Will Not Print Any Load Data For What I Believe They Fear They May Take Away From Their CM Cartridge. They Stated That This Powder Only Works In Specific Cartridges. I Can Only Think They May Have Tried It And Found It To Be Very Good And Don't Want To Publish Any Data. What Do You All Think?

They dont wish to publish anything that some dunderhead will TRY and copy and thusly THEY end up in a lawsuit.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
They dont wish to publish anything that some dunderhead will TRY and copy and thusly THEY end up in a lawsuit.
Isn't loading data in all the manuals published by the bullet/powder manufactures so that us "dunderheads" can use it as a guide? Why would data for the Superformance powder be any different? Just because the data is published in the manuals does not make it is safe in every gun. If you don't know how to inturpret the pressure signs, then you shouldn't be reloading anyway. Superformance is not some black magic powder that can only be loaded by the manufacture.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnwill View Post
Isn't loading data in all the manuals published by the bullet/powder manufactures so that us "dunderheads" can use it as a guide? Why would data for the Superformance powder be any different? Just because the data is published in the manuals does not make it is safe in every gun. If you don't know how to inturpret the pressure signs, then you shouldn't be reloading anyway. Superformance is not some black magic powder that can only be loaded by the manufacture.
Tell the guys that are having primers popping back....soot streaks all over their casings....split casings...etc. If...IF the variation level for SF powders is extremely low...you will never seen data given out to the free world....too much risk. And dont think for a second that the powder you buy in a 1 lb can or an 8 lb jug is identical to what companys are loading into their ammo. They load the very best using multi million dollar equipment to make their ammo, whereas "we" get the floor sweepings to reload with.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
Tell the guys that are having primers popping back....soot streaks all over their casings....split casings...etc. If...IF the variation level for SF powders is extremely low...you will never seen data given out to the free world....too much risk. And dont think for a second that the powder you buy in a 1 lb can or an 8 lb jug is identical to what companys are loading into their ammo. They load the very best using multi million dollar equipment to make their ammo, whereas "we" get the floor sweepings to reload with.
How does what you just said apply to SF powder? If the variation level is extremely low how is that too much risk? They can have the best powder and million dollar equipment, my reloads with the floor sweepings shoot better than any factory I have ever tried. Not trying to get in a pi**ing match with you, but your logic makes no sense.
To the op, if you are interested in the data, shoot me a pm.