Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

260 rem coal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 01:05 PM

Re: 260 rem coal

hey pal, i never asked for some sarcastic smart ***** answer. I just wanted to know if all 260s ran in the same area as far as coal. I don't know i'm just getting into the reloading bit and was looking for a little guidance but as usual on all these forums there is someone who wants to act like you. To all you other guys that tried to help, I really appreciate it.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakatak View Post
hey pal, i never asked for some sarcastic smart ***** answer. I just wanted to know if all 260s ran in the same area as far as coal. I don't know i'm just getting into the reloading bit and was looking for a little guidance but as usual on all these forums there is someone who wants to act like you. To all you other guys that tried to help, I really appreciate it.
Rakatak, All.260 chambers are not alike in reference to throat length even if they were chambered with the same reamer. There will be a slight difference but not enough to be concerned. The method you are using to measure COAL is fine for your chamber. From touching the lands to seating shorter is the way you will find the best seating depth for accuracy. Good luck and good shooting with your .260. ..... SEMPER FI!
Old 04-05-2013, 09:08 PM

RAKATAK,
I agree with Sully2. My measurements for COAL on my Rem 700 using 142 MatchKing is 2.873, so you're in the ball park when compared to my rifle. When I measure COAL with a 120 Pro Hunter, the COAL is much lower due to the differences in bullet construction. BTW, the 142 matchking won't fit in my magazine, but this is OK since I load them one at a time for F-Class matches.

More important to me is CBTO, or Cartridge Base To Ogive. This measures the base of the cartridge to where the bullets contacts the rifling. I've enclosed a picture of my set up using a Stoney PT. gauge, now called the Hornady lock and load. Since you said you're new to reloading I suggest you buy one of these tools as part of your basic kit. You'll never regret it.

I too have measured like you did, (by splitting the case). I've done this by pinching the case mouth a little, then slowly chambering the cartridge. This gets you pretty close to the actual measurement, but some bullets will pull out slightly.

Interesting to me is that different type bullets measures slightly different CBTO. For example, my 120 Pro Hunter measure 2.290 CBTO and my 142 MK measures 2.285 CBTO.
I've loaded these 142 MKs 8 thousand off the lands.

Good luck and happy reloading.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
260 rem coal-260-cbto.jpg