Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading


Reply

260 rem coal

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-02-2013, 06:57 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 16
260 rem coal

hey guys, for you guys that have a 260 and reload for it I wanted to know what your cartridge oal is when bullet is just touching the lands. I know it is different for every gun. I have a shilen 26 inch varmint contour barrel and i am using remington brass with 123 grain sierra matchkings. I am getting 2.860 just touching the lands. Does this sound about right to you guys. If so i am going to seat the bullet at 2.850 and go from there. thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-02-2013, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Falls Church, VA
Posts: 3,254
Re: 260 rem coal

My rounds are loaded to 2.85 with a 130grain JLK so they fit in an AI mag. This length is not even close to the lands on my rifle. My rifle was originally built as a single shot and throated for the 140berger. So my bullets are making a loooooooong jump. My 260 by MCR

Like you said though, all this is meaningless to your situation. Although a COAL of 2.86 on-the-lands sounds seems a little short, what you need to do is get yourself a Hornady OAL guage:

Hornady Lock-N-Load Overall Length Gage Bolt Action

With it, you will be able to determine almost exactly the OAL for that particular bullet when it touches the lands.

Then my recommendation would be to set back .010. So if you are 2.86 on-the-lands, you would load them to 2.76. .001 is not sufficient set back because you would have a hard time loading them that precisely. This would mean that some of your round would be on the lands and some off the lands. And that would cause you lots of fits.
__________________
I'm not gonna shoot here. I'm gonna shoot waaaaaaaay over there!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-02-2013, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,893
Re: 260 rem coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
My rounds are loaded to 2.85 with a 130grain JLK so they fit in an AI mag. This length is not even close to the lands on my rifle. My rifle was originally built as a single shot and throated for the 140berger. So my bullets are making a loooooooong jump. My 260 by MCR

Like you said though, all this is meaningless to your situation. Although a COAL of 2.86 on-the-lands sounds seems a little short, what you need to do is get yourself a Hornady OAL guage:

Hornady Lock-N-Load Overall Length Gage Bolt Action

With it, you will be able to determine almost exactly the OAL for that particular bullet when it touches the lands.

Then my recommendation would be to set back .010. So if you are 2.86 on-the-lands, you would load them to 2.76. .001 is not sufficient set back because you would have a hard time loading them that precisely. This would mean that some of your round would be on the lands and some off the lands. And that would cause you lots of fits.
If they are 2.86 and you need to have loaded rounded mike at 2.76....you REDUCE by .10....not .010. 2.86-.010 gets you down to 2.85...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-02-2013, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,893
Re: 260 rem coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakatak View Post
hey guys, for you guys that have a 260 and reload for it I wanted to know what your cartridge oal is when bullet is just touching the lands. I know it is different for every gun. I have a shilen 26 inch varmint contour barrel and i am using remington brass with 123 grain sierra matchkings. I am getting 2.860 just touching the lands. Does this sound about right to you guys. If so i am going to seat the bullet at 2.850 and go from there. thanks.
I make my loaded rounds sit at .02 short of the rifling regardless of the bullet used. From 124 Lapua's to 15? grain ?? Barnes I think they are???
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Falls Church, VA
Posts: 3,254
Re: 260 rem coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
If they are 2.86 and you need to have loaded rounded mike at 2.76....you REDUCE by .10....not .010. 2.86-.010 gets you down to 2.85...
d'oh!
__________________
I'm not gonna shoot here. I'm gonna shoot waaaaaaaay over there!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-02-2013, 10:28 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 16
Re: 260 rem coal

I made a dummy round by sizing a fired brass case then cut 2 slits down to the neck, then put a bullet in the case and put round in the gun and closed the bolt slowly. get right around the same measurement every time I do this. 2.858 to 2.860. Does this number sound right to you guys?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-03-2013, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mountians of SW NC, near Asheville
Posts: 1,596
Re: 260 rem coal

"I wanted to know what your cartridge oal is when bullet is just touching the lands. I know it is different for every gun."

And, from that, you already know that what's "right" is different. Our's isn't your's and we don't have a clue what your chamber's dimensions are so anything you throw at us sounds right if it's right for you. ??
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Do you archery hunt for elk?
YES - 32.37%
78 Votes
NO - 50.62%
122 Votes
Not yet, but I plan to. - 17.01%
41 Votes
Total Votes: 241
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC