Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

257 stw case dimensions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 09:29 AM

257 stw case dimensions

Hello

My father in law has a new 257 stw and we are working on load data for it. But wondering what the trim length of the case should be? I understand you neck down the 7mm stw case, but I,m just looking for overall case length for the 257 stw. Thxs for any help
Old 05-03-2013, 01:36 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 257 stw case dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Nail View Post
Hello

My father in law has a new 257 stw and we are working on load data for it. But wondering what the trim length of the case should be? I understand you neck down the 7mm stw case, but I,m just looking for overall case length for the 257 stw. Thxs for any help
I have a 257 stw. And a 257 stw ackley The way both of mine are chambered I trim to the same length as the 7 mm stw case. Not sure if you have loaded any rounds yet. Mine are pretty picky about the loads. I was using r25 for a while but I would get pressure spikes. Now I have been using the ram shot magnum which is basically a ball powder. The longer stick powders bridge and cause spikes in mine.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

I don't have a manual close by so I don't know what the max case lenght is supposed to be. The 'trim to' lenght can be anything you want but all the books will suggest trimming to 10 thou less than max.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:04 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
I don't have a manual close by so I don't know what the max case lenght is supposed to be. The 'trim to' lenght can be anything you want but all the books will suggest trimming to 10 thou less than max.
Max length is 2.850. And trim to 2.840
Old 05-04-2013, 07:41 AM

Thxs for the replies guys. I,ve read a lot that others are having better luck with ramshot as well.