Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading


Reply

257 stw blowing primers

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 10-16-2012, 04:57 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 793
Re: 257 stw blowing primers

had a 264 mag ruger that the same happened too. About 200 rounds of hot ammo down the pipe and it started blowing primers with even mild loads. Bore scope showed extream scaling in the first part of the barrel. Sent it to ruger and they were nice enough to replace the barrel for free even though i was my fault. Backed the loads off a bit in the new barrel and its fine after over 500 rounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orch View Post
I had a 25-06 (factory savage) that started doing this after about 400 rounds down the pipe.... Didn't matter what I did load wise ie. down loaded to mild loads, different bullet and powder combos.... It would shoot a couple shots accurately then I'd get a blown primer and either wicked bad fliers or vaporized bullets in flight... Turns out it had some nasty fire cracking... Gunsmith that bore scoped it said it was the worst he'd ever seen... Turns out long firing strings on hot days in the gopher patch are a bad idea
I say take it to a smith and have him take a look down the barrel...

Orch
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-16-2012, 07:09 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: N.D.
Posts: 2,817
Re: 257 stw blowing primers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydsmale View Post
had a 264 mag ruger that the same happened too. About 200 rounds of hot ammo down the pipe and it started blowing primers with even mild loads. Bore scope showed extream scaling in the first part of the barrel. Sent it to ruger and they were nice enough to replace the barrel for free even though i was my fault. Backed the loads off a bit in the new barrel and its fine after over 500 rounds.
You learn something new every day. Each barrel I've go bad has simply lost enough rifling that the accuracy started to fall off, but I move 'em early(while they shoot fine yet) so that may be a later developement. I've never had firecracking bad enough to cause the trouble you speak of, but I don't doubt it. Even my 7rum had simple throat wear and no real firecracking.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-16-2012, 10:57 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 793
Re: 257 stw blowing primers

that was the prognosis that ruger gave me when they replaced it too.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-16-2012, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 3,423
Re: 257 stw blowing primers

This isn't 200 down the tube or even 100 or even 50. It's 15. I could see firecracking/excessive heat if the 15 were in rapid succession, I don't believe they were????

Something's fishy.....
__________________
'It's not about me, it's about we'..........
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-16-2012, 12:42 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 50
Re: 257 stw blowing primers

Well. I just bougjht a new bore scope for the guys at the shop to inspect cylinders and such. Gueess I will bring it home tonight and have a look and see how bad it looks. One other thing I have never rapid fired it. I know these are hard on barrels. I just expected it to last a little longer.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-16-2012, 12:51 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: manitoba, canada
Posts: 80
Re: 257 stw blowing primers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
This isn't 200 down the tube or even 100 or even 50. It's 15. I could see firecracking/excessive heat if the 15 were in rapid succession, I don't believe they were????

Something's fishy.....
He said he put 15 shots in a one inch square.... I assume that is with his load he worked up after load developement... So I'd think he had more than 15 shots through it... Not trying to start an argument, just saying....

Regardless there were only two days I pushed the 25-06 on hot days that probably caused the fire cracking and they consisted of about 20 shot rapid fire sessions where I didn't let the barrel cool down between shots and smoked the barrel.... Atleast that's what the gunsmith told me did it.... So it doesn't take much according to him.... So yah as you said rapid succession....

I guess the OP would be the one to ask.... What was the total round count on the barrel?

Orch
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-16-2012, 01:10 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 3,423
Re: 257 stw blowing primers

Quote:
Originally Posted by orch View Post
He said he put 15 shots in a one inch square.... I assume that is with his load he worked up after load developement... So I'd think he had more than 15 shots through it... Not trying to start an argument, just saying....

Regardless there were only two days I pushed the 25-06 on hot days that probably caused the fire cracking and they consisted of about 20 shot rapid fire sessions where I didn't let the barrel cool down between shots and smoked the barrel.... Atleast that's what the gunsmith told me did it.... So it doesn't take much according to him.... So yah as you said rapid succession....

I guess the OP would be the one to ask.... What was the total round count on the barrel?

Orch
You may be right, I may have read it wrong. I didn't account for load work up, just the 15 shots......

........."The rifle is a 700 remington, pacnor 26 inch barrel, trued, oversized threads sleeved bolt, and a few other things.
I got the rifle last winter and worked up a load 81 gr R-25 with a 100gr nosler e-tip. it is loaded .090 off the lands and around 3850 fps. All was good. It put 15 shots into a 1 inch square at 100 yards.

A bit more than 15 but how many more?? Sixty four dollar question and it may, in fact be uchered.

Sort of like my hunting rifles. I never expect to shoot out a barrel because they get a load worked up and they sit until needed. Now my 223's get the bejesus shot out of them.
__________________
'It's not about me, it's about we'..........
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: 257 stw blowing primers
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
22/6mm bullets blowing up bearmn56 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 8 03-19-2012 08:53 PM
Flatning Primers and Blowing out Primers Prairie Dog50 Reloading 26 02-24-2012 08:37 PM
Factory ammo blowing out primers? RyanG Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 6 02-08-2012 02:14 PM
Flatning Primers and Blowing Out Primers Prairie Dog50 Reloading 8 12-29-2010 09:49 AM
210 bergers blowing up?? help 30-378 wby bsb Reloading 27 05-23-2006 11:09 PM

Current Poll
Do you plan to buy a new custom rifle in the next 12 months?
YES - Of course - 72.96%
1,654 Vote
NO - wife/girlfriend won't let me. - 27.04%
613 Votes
Total Votes: 2,267
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC