Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

257- STW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2007, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 257- STW

Thanks-for-the-info.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:29 PM
Silver Member

what velocity are you getting out of your 30 in barrel? That is almost the same load that I use for the 110 accubond. Love that bullet.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:46 AM
Gold Member

Wildcat,
Many 7mmSTW shooters like to form their cases from full length Norma 300 H&H brass in order to get the quality they are looking for.

Ian.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:58 PM
Bronze Member

Wildcat
Been shooting the 7 STW since it was a "wildcat".I've used all kinds of factory brass Win, Rem., Fed, plus formed it from several other rounds.In my experience Win 7STW brass serves me well.I've got one lot I've loaded 7 times and primer pockets are still fine.Course I don't run on the ragged edge with my charge weights/pressures.I've found the "7" to be easy to get to perform accuracy wise and nice and flat at "my" hunting ranges(400-600yds-max)I realize this is short to med. range for this group of hunters,but see no reason 168 Bergers at 3000-3100 won't work on out to long range. I hope to have similar luck with the 25 STW.Time will tell.Good luck on your build whichever caliber you go with and keep us posted.
Brute
Old 03-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Bronze Member

Why would someone tell you to us brass other that 8MM Rem Mag or 7MM STW brass, I don't know. You don't run into the fireforming garbage related to using something else...and yes my friend who doesn't know, .257 STW brass is available here: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=291676
Old 03-15-2007, 06:13 AM
Bronze Member

I agree that factory 7 STW brass is the way to go.The necking up or down plus fireforming is a total pain.However some folks are less than thrilled with the quality of available 7 STW headstamped brass.Also some of the first rifles chambered for STW (when it was still a "cat")varied in dimensions due to reamer specs differing slightly.So in search of a better mousetrap,so to speak, we tried a lot of different recipes.With brass available now I see no reason to spend time ,components ,and barrel life to form brass from other sources.But, heres the catch. 7 STW brass is a little scarce at times.It is my understanding that Win and Rem have designated it a seasonal item which means it isn't readily available year round.Being this is the best route to 257 STW (necking down 7 STW)if you find it you might ought to buy it.One other option for STW brass 7 and 257 is Quality Cartridge Brass from Midway,but it is kinda expensive and I've heard less than glowing reports about the quality.That being said I plan to try a sample for 257 STW and see for myself.If anyone has tried Quality Cartridge Brass I'd be lnterested in your opinions.
Brute
Old 03-15-2007, 08:42 PM
Bronze Member

Brute, I have heard about the same [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img], on the Quality Cartridge Brass for the 257 STW and for that reason I have not tried it. If anyone has used any please keep us posted with your results.