Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

25 wssm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 03:16 AM

25 wssm

I recently purchased a Winchester Coyote in 25 WSSM with a SWFA SS 10x42 for 300$.

I couldn't pass it up.

I'm waiting on my dies to come in but I can not find brass to save my life. I have 30 rounds of spent brass and 30 rounds of factory ammo.

Is there any other casing that can be sized to 25 WSSM or any leads on brass?

I have thought about buying a new barrel and having the bolt worked to another caliber but I love the way this gun shoots.

Thanks
Boomer
Old 10-17-2013, 06:28 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 25 wssm

Any of the wssm casings can be necked to 25wssm. That's about it.

You'll have a hard time re-barreling this rifle to anything else (I have one- I know your dilemma) as winchester used a shorter than normal action for the wssm rifles and a mag bolt face. Possibly replacing the bolt and going with the 223 family, but I'm not even sure about that. Midway and Graf's do have ammo in stock for you to shoot to get brass; I know it's a pain but many times you have to shoot factories to get brass for your stuff.

Winchester Supreme Ammo 25 Winchester Super Short Mag (WSSM) 85 Grain

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/19456
Old 10-17-2013, 07:22 AM
Platinum Member

This problem is not specific to WSSM brass. Pretty much all cartridge reloading brass, across the board, is in backorder.
It's just a bad time for ammo component purchases.
I'll look at what I hold & maybe I can let go of some.

You don't want to mess with necking up WSSM if at all possible to buy in cal.
Trust me on this, it's a lot of work.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
This problem is not specific to WSSM brass. Pretty much all cartridge reloading brass, across the board, is in backorder.
It's just a bad time for ammo component purchases.
I'll look at what I hold & maybe I can let go of some.

You don't want to mess with necking up WSSM if at all possible to buy in cal.
Trust me on this, it's a lot of work.
Not that much work-- 243wssm is a pass through the 25 die, trim to square.... the 223wssm is a pass over a 6mm expander, then a pass through your 25 wssm die, trim to square. The shoulder is a few degrees different on the 25wssm but it gets pushed back when you run 'em through your 25wssm die. Just remember to lube your necks before you neck up.

I'd look at letting go of a bit too, but all of my brass is loaded at present. I was worried that this cal. would be a flash in the pan so I bought enough brass to shoot the rifle out back in '06 when I bought the rifle. I've been shooting mostly range pick-ups in all three headstamps to save my brass though.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:36 AM
Platinum Member

The work I'm referring to is in donut mitigation in grossly over-thick cases(~20thou+).
To do what you're talking about means turning onto shoulders, then deep annealing, upsizing, then several fire-formings/sizing cycles to reach the point of Win reloading 25wssm brass out of the bag.
Or, you could anneal, upsize, fireform, ,ream out the donut, and size cycle to re-harden necks.

I take 25wssm to 26wssm. But if I shot 25wssm, I would just buy 25wssm brass. Maybe not right now, but eventually.
I may have a bunch of 223 or 243 wssm brass, if you really want to go through all the hassle to change it. I'll look
Old 10-17-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
Not that much work-- 243wssm is a pass through the 25 die, trim to square.... the 223wssm is a pass over a 6mm expander, then a pass through your 25 wssm die, trim to square. The shoulder is a few degrees different on the 25wssm but it gets pushed back when you run 'em through your 25wssm die. Just remember to lube your necks before you neck up.

I'd look at letting go of a bit too, but all of my brass is loaded at present. I was worried that this cal. would be a flash in the pan so I bought enough brass to shoot the rifle out back in '06 when I bought the rifle. I've been shooting mostly range pick-ups in all three headstamps to save my brass though.
So 243 WSSM brass will run through my die and all I would have to do is trim and resize?
Old 10-17-2013, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
The work I'm referring to is in donut mitigation in grossly over-thick cases(~20thou+).
To do what you're talking about means turning onto shoulders, then deep annealing, upsizing, then several fire-formings/sizing cycles to reach the point of Win reloading 25wssm brass out of the bag.
Or, you could anneal, upsize, fireform, ,ream out the donut, and size cycle to re-harden necks.

I take 25wssm to 26wssm. But if I shot 25wssm, I would just buy 25wssm brass. Maybe not right now, but eventually.
I may have a bunch of 223 or 243 wssm brass, if you really want to go through all the hassle to change it. I'll look
I've done up a few boxes and never had any trouble with donuts. I'm using regular redding dies. Maybe I just got lucky but I didn't have to ream or anything.