Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

.25 06 with SHORT barrel...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 02:27 PM

.25 06 with SHORT barrel...

Hi Guy's.

I recently had my .25 sent into get a Suppressor here in Nz. I left it up to the gunsmith to decide how much to cut the barrel down.... Came back pretty short! Now at 18.5 inches without suppressor and 22 inches with it on.

Now by most accounts this is rather short for a .25 which like the slow burning powders. It is blowing power out the end into the suppressor but still pretty accurate. I am going to load up some of my own ammo and am guessing I should try slightly faster burning stuff?

Any pointers / idea's would be appreciated. I have some IMR 4350 which seems to be quite popular for the .25's?

Many Thank's - George.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:19 PM

Re: .25 06 with SHORT barrel...

I think I would try IMR 4350 since you have it and maybe drop down in bullet weight depending on twist and what you are shooting at. Sounds like you mad yourself a .257 Roberts +P
Old 01-09-2013, 08:33 AM
Gold Member

Ive allways chuckled at guys that claimed the 2506 was useless with a 22 inch barrel but the 270 was just fine. that said a 18 inch 2506 is a bit short in my opinion. I have to almost wonder what the inside of your suppressor will look like after a couple full power rounds.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydsmale View Post
Ive allways chuckled at guys that claimed the 2506 was useless with a 22 inch barrel but the 270 was just fine. that said a 18 inch 2506 is a bit short in my opinion. I have to almost wonder what the inside of your suppressor will look like after a couple full power rounds.

I have to agree!...My 25AI is a 24" barreled model
Old 01-09-2013, 12:06 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkgeorge View Post
Hi Guy's.

I recently had my .25 sent into get a Suppressor here in Nz. I left it up to the gunsmith to decide how much to cut the barrel down.... Came back pretty short! Now at 18.5 inches without suppressor and 22 inches with it on.

Now by most accounts this is rather short for a .25 which like the slow burning powders. It is blowing power out the end into the suppressor but still pretty accurate. I am going to load up some of my own ammo and am guessing I should try slightly faster burning stuff?

Any pointers / idea's would be appreciated. I have some IMR 4350 which seems to be quite popular for the .25's?

Many Thank's - George.
Well you really can't do much about the barrel now and I agree with trying maybe IMR-4350 H-4350 or R-17. It be interesting to hear back from you if you chronograph before that barrel was cut and what it is now.

Gunsmith who does my work threads/install lot of suppressor and he's always having time with his customers on barrel length.

Well good luck
Old 04-06-2013, 02:27 AM

Unless you have a particular reason for a short barrel and a Suppressor.....
I'd rebarrel the rifle with a LONG THICK HEAVY (Varmint-Style) barrel ....
.....so that you can get "full-value" from the 25-06 cartridge.

Otherwise ...you're just shooting an under-performing rifle.

just the opinion of a LONG-TIME 25-06 shooter/hunter.

BUT....this is ONLY MY opinion.....and I have NO idea what your "original objectives" entailed.

GOOD LUCK !!!
Old 04-06-2013, 10:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56Wrecker View Post
Unless you have a particular reason for a short barrel and a Suppressor.....
I'd rebarrel the rifle with a LONG THICK HEAVY (Varmint-Style) barrel ....
.....so that you can get "full-value" from the 25-06 cartridge.

Otherwise ...you're just shooting an under-performing rifle.

just the opinion of a LONG-TIME 25-06 shooter/hunter.

BUT....this is ONLY MY opinion.....and I have NO idea what your "original objectives" entailed.

GOOD LUCK !!!

I have to agree with you. That short of a barrel is FAR too short for any purpose Id have.