Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading


Reply

25-06 Reminigton info please

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #43  
Old 09-13-2013, 12:47 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,954
Re: 25-06 Reminigton info please

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Yeah, it's not a .22-06, but it's alot more tweaked than that. It'll be hotter than a .22-06, by a noticeable bit. I designed it around the .224 Berger 90gr VLD for coyotes.

So, Reloder 22, H1000, 25, 33, 50....All those oughtta be good enough to get me started then, right?

I got plenty of 22 and H1000.

Well....I got an old 20" .22-250 heavy barrel that the throat was trashed in, but the rifling looks decent enough to get started, that I'll ream the chamber out, and use for fire-forming.

Then once I get my capacities figured out, and my cases formed, buy a nice Shilen pre-fit short-chamber and let my smith finish it out. Problem is, I'll need a Sendero contour, but it will have to be 26" long, and a 1:7 twist.....That's gonna be hard to find.
I think 22, 25, and H1000 are going to be on the fast side. If you want to try them, start with the 25. If it's too fast, you know the others will be too fast as well. I would go with H870 or RL33 to start. You should have a good idea of other powders performance based on one of those.
__________________
- Mark

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 09-13-2013, 01:25 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 83
Re: 25-06 Reminigton info please

O, I have been reading this thread from the start and have a question or three.
I am not wanting to steal this thread but I have to ask, what is wrong with my standard 700 with a 24 in barrel, I can not get anywhere close to the vel. shooting 100 gr bullets that most are posting with heavier bullets.
I have tried H4350, R17 (it just did not like that load at all), R22, IMR4350. My best groups come from IMR4831 and R19 with IMR turning in 3200 FPS and R19 turning in 3275.
All powder listed could and are pushed to max book loads.
I am new to a 25-06 but dang I feel like Ned and the first reader compaired to what y'all are getting.

Thanks
John
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 09-13-2013, 02:56 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,291
Re: 25-06 Reminigton info please

3,275 is stout....My .257 Wby Mag loads are only at 3,300-3,400 and that's just barely flaring out the primers enough to notice. Much higher could be bad.

Some of the velocities we were discussing were for the .25-06 Ackley Improved where guys were getting 3,400+ fps MV.

You could always ream your chamber out to an A.I. Chamber to gain some extra velocity on your next set of reloads.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 09-13-2013, 03:35 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,856
Re: 25-06 Reminigton info please

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
3,275 is stout....My .257 Wby Mag loads are only at 3,300-3,400 and that's just barely flaring out the primers enough to notice. Much higher could be bad.

Some of the velocities we were discussing were for the .25-06 Ackley Improved where guys were getting 3,400+ fps MV.

You could always ream your chamber out to an A.I. Chamber to gain some extra velocity on your next set of reloads.

'Runner...My darned 222 finally got her today....geeze! I'll fire a few rounds out of it and then will have to sit down and reload the 222 AND the 25-06AI
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 09-13-2013, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,954
Re: 25-06 Reminigton info please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Target Guy View Post
O, I have been reading this thread from the start and have a question or three.
I am not wanting to steal this thread but I have to ask, what is wrong with my standard 700 with a 24 in barrel, I can not get anywhere close to the vel. shooting 100 gr bullets that most are posting with heavier bullets.
I have tried H4350, R17 (it just did not like that load at all), R22, IMR4350. My best groups come from IMR4831 and R19 with IMR turning in 3200 FPS and R19 turning in 3275.
All powder listed could and are pushed to max book loads.
I am new to a 25-06 but dang I feel like Ned and the first reader compaired to what y'all are getting.

Thanks
John
RL17 is going to be your best bet for higher velocities. If your rifle doesn't like it you just have to go with what works best. Most sporter factory rifles will be more finicky about accurate loads. My velocities and accuracy were out of a 26" Sendero and it shot almost anything well. Some a little better than others.

RL17 got me 3400 with 115 CT's. The next fastest powder was Retumbo with 3200 fps and that was close to 100% capacity so it might be too slow for bullets less than 110 gr. Other powders are about 100 fps less than Retumbo, give or take.

Your velocites are well below what's published in Nosler's online data. Not sure why that is? Maybe the chrono?

25-06 Remington
__________________
- Mark

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 09-13-2013, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,002
Re: 25-06 Reminigton info please

Clay target guy: A true 3200ish fps with 100s is standard top velocity with the standard 25-06 from a 24" tube. Some rifles have fast barrels and some have slow barrels. Same load will produce greatly different velocities. You also have to take into account that posters are using different chronographs set up differently and with different conditions.
If you are getting the accuracy you want and 3200 fps then go out and kill stuff. They won't know the difference in a couple hundred fps.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 09-13-2013, 06:39 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,291
Re: 25-06 Reminigton info please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
'Runner...My darned 222 finally got her today....geeze! I'll fire a few rounds out of it and then will have to sit down and reload the 222 AND the 25-06AI
I'm still waiting to get those .25-06 AI dies and brass when you get tired of fire-forming. still got the money put back just waitin on you...
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
I currently have hunting preference points in the following states

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC