Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

25-06 Case stretching - what have you experienced?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2007, 04:46 PM

Re: 25-06 Case stretching - what have you experienced?

NYLES,
My reply was a feeble attempt to have a little fun, and you're right, there's not much difference! Really, please reply anytime it moves you...I'll buy you a catfish dinner. It looks like I'm getting more stretch from the Hornady expander than I am anything else. At least fired brass is about 2.488 or 2.489 after trimming to 2.484. Then it goes to 2.494 2.495 after sizing and expanding. I haven't checked the sized without expanding length, cuz I figure I have to size the way I am anyway. Gonna measure the chamber, cast it or something, to see what actual depth to front of the case neck/base of throat is.
BTW - I learned that relatively hard sandbags under the forend along with weak and inconsistent shoulder pressure makes for some really nice vertical strings.... I really need to refine my technique and rest equipment. Consistent 1/2" groups horizontally and you name it vertically. My first clue was loads with a full 1 gr. more powder were grouping LOWER than weaker ones. NYLES, please right back and tell me how your range experience goes with the .27O!
Tom [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Platinum Member

From my experience the 25-06 and the 27-06 (270 Win) are equal case stretchers when both are pushed to maximum velocities.

My dad and now my brother has the 25 and I have the 270. Both are pushed to max velocities. Both require trimming about every third shot unless you do something.

The 'something' I do is I neck size, with the full length die, only one caliber down the neck, or there abouts.

It seems to help and I have no problems using reloading cases between 10 and 20 times. That's a broad range as some make it to 10 before they get the crystalized ring around the web and others last longer.

The loads in the 270 were 58gr 4350 and 130 sierras (way to hot). The other load is, I think, 58.5gr RL22 and 140gr Hornady Interlocks. Both go right at 3200 but the RL22 load is much more reasonable.

FWIW
Old 04-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Gold Member

Shoulder pressure issue can be cured with a wood or laminate stock, if your shooting that molded plastic thing junk it! Most of my Encore range stuff is with the M/L barrel. Mike Bellm sells a gauge for measuring headspace and a few other T/C measuring tools you might wanna look at.

Try this page for some good info! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

http://bellmtcs.com

Drop by I'll by the fish! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Silver Member

I've been reloading for 25-06 for about 5 years. I full length size about every 4 t o5 reloadings and neck size the rest. My Winchester likes 87gr TNTs with a max load of H4350. My cases will stretch about .005" to .010" after every shot. I trim every reload to 2.484" to increase accuracy. I think it's the nature of the beast when reloading overbore cartridges.

I've found that Remington brass lasts longer than Winchester brass. I have only had split case necks, no head separation.

AR's for coyotes
25-06 M70 for coyotes
6.5-06 Remington Custom w/Leupold Mark IV 6.5-20 tactical setup
AR10 for mule deer
6.5-06 M700 for mule deer
338 Lapua Mag M700 for elk
Old 05-06-2012, 06:09 PM

jlamb, you brought up this old thread, and I feel obligated to tell what I did since the original posting time. I did buy Bellm's headspace measuring setup, and discovered that my 'garage' measuring technique on the Encore wasn't accurate. What I had perceived as .001" was more like .003" - still within standards, but I was over-resizing by .002" or so. I also bought an RCBS X-sizer and followed the directions, setting it up so that the cases were sized just enough. My case life jumped dramatically. I have shot new cases prepped this way a max of 5 times so far, with no signs of separation, and overall case stretch stopped after the first couple loadings.

A couple more things - my first brass was purchased once-fired, and it was good, but I do believe some of it had been fired in chambers larger than mine. That means there was more initial stretch that got squashed back the very first time I resized. My real worry was case separation, although I emphasized stretching in the post, I was seeing the the hints of case separation after only 3 or 4 loadings and became skilled at shining a little LED light down there looking for the circle shadows that show before a crack even starts.

Starting with new brass fired only in my Encore, and following the techniques listed above, I'm not seeing those shadows either!

Wallypedal
Old 05-07-2012, 08:15 AM
Gold Member

FWIW, I found the best luck using lake city 30-06 brass necked to 25-06 (annealed) . loads may need to be worked up again.