.25-06 AI Fireforming
I received my new .25-06 AI from the smith this past week (big smile on my face). So I've been getting together some fireforming loads. I'm trying 2 different methods both with new Winchester .25-06 brass.
1. 46gr of RL-22 behind a 117gr sierra pro-hunter bullet. I figured I could do some fireforming and new barrel break-in at one time with these.
2. Expand neck up to .270 caliber and partial size neck to back to .257 caliber leaving a false shoulder that just chambers and is pretty tight. Then load Alliant Green Dot, fill to middle of neck with Cream of Wheat, and plug with a bit of tissue paper. I started with 10.0gr of Green Dot (for some reason I can't remember I have lots of this powder on hand) and went up to 16.0gr.
Here are my results so far.
The bullet loads are about what I thought they might be. The case shoulders are fairly well formed, but still not quite as sharp on the shoulders and neck junction as could be. One case in the first 20 split on the shoulder and never formed very well...still very rounded (almost looks like a Weatherby double-radius shoulder). Using fire and clean method for the first 5, then 3 shots and clean for the next 15, the barrel seems to be getting much easier to clean and is starting to group nicely, although I don't care much as these are not for load development.
The COW loads are doing wonderfully. I've settled on 13.0gr of the Green Dot. Case shoulders are nice and sharp. Not any mess. I did a few in the garage, but it's still pretty loud, so I may do some more like that, but most will be outdoors at the range.
So overall, there's no doubt in my mind. The COW fireforming method is what I'll use for the remainder of my cases, and into the future. Sorry for the long post.