Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

243 barrel length vs powder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 04:58 AM

243 barrel length vs powder

Ive got a 243 ruger with a 19in lightweight barrel. I m new to this and never took into consideration if barrel length and size for powder choice. I was planning on using RL 17 with a 75 gr hornday v max with Federal primers. how much difference does barrel length make in powder burn rates if any? ANy suggestions here? thanks
Old 04-28-2013, 06:17 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 243 barrel length vs powder

I have read on several occasions that the optimal powder will work regardless of barrel length. There is an idea floating around that a short barrel requires a faster powder and it is nonsense. Just look in the loading books for a powder that works with best accuracy/ top velocity and make your loads.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZShooter View Post
I have read on several occasions that the optimal powder will work regardless of barrel length. There is an idea floating around that a short barrel requires a faster powder and it is nonsense. Just look in the loading books for a powder that works with best accuracy/ top velocity and make your loads.
A very slow burning powder cant be consumed in a short barrel and just gets thrown out the muzzle. That and a fire ball 3 feet long because its burning outside the barrel itself
Old 04-28-2013, 09:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolski View Post
Ive got a 243 ruger with a 19in lightweight barrel. I m new to this and never took into consideration if barrel length and size for powder choice. I was planning on using RL 17 with a 75 gr hornday v max with Federal primers. how much difference does barrel length make in powder burn rates if any? ANy suggestions here? thanks

I cant tell you is RL 17 is the right powder for you...BUT...with such a short barrel you do need to use a faster burning powder to get all you can.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:54 PM

Ive got 4007 ssc also that sounds like its going to be a better match. So is RL 17 out of the question for 22250? Ive got no problem finding these powders. guess we are lucky here.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolski View Post
Ive got 4007 ssc also that sounds like its going to be a better match. So is RL 17 out of the question for 22250? Ive got no problem finding these powders. guess we are lucky here.

RL 17 isnt listed for use in a 22-250.......and in a 243 its only Alliant data says use a 24" barrel..
Old 04-29-2013, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZShooter View Post
Rarely does a powder given the highest velocity also produce best accuracy.

Only if a loading book's load is tested in a barrel exactly like yours (same chamber, bore and groove dimensions) would I think it might be the most accurate. And then only if it was tested in a free recoiling machine rest to eliminate the shooter's errors that are always part of the group size. There are thousands of loads in print for a given bullet that's stated as "most accurate." And hundreds of ways were used to determine accuracy, too. Few, very few accuracy tests used for puglished load data are made that have high enough levels of probablility that the represent what can be attained all the time. Which one's best for you?

And if one wants their load's pressure curves to be repeatable at bullet exit for all rounds fired, they will use a powder speed correct for their barrel length. 16 inchers need different powder speeds than 28 inchers.