Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

.243 AI and Redding comp. neck sizing dies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2005, 12:01 PM
Bronze Member

Re: .243 AI and Redding comp. neck sizing dies

a while back I was looking for information on the diffrence of two cartrages . lost track and gave up on the redding die. After I got the new die the run out was no acceptable the best i could get was .003"
I picked up a cheap collet die and am very happy now.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:40 PM
Gold Member

Jimm,
Before you go any further i think it could be the winding down of the micrometer, then backing off 005" that is causing you the problem, "DONT DO THIS".
Leave the micrometer backed off insert the case, ram all the way up and start turning the micrometer down .050" at a time untill you start sizing the neck, them adjust accrdingly. If this does not work then your dies are most likely suspect, just thought i must check my own 243 ackley improved dies to see if i ahve a problem-Ooops i have let the cat out of the bag, yes i now have a 243 Ackley sat in my safe [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I am waiting for a base, so watch this space for a full report.

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but the duck got inthe way"
Old 06-19-2005, 01:01 PM
Gold Member

I have just checked my own dies, they too say 243 win imp. 40 degrees, it is evening time here in the UK now so i will set up the dies tomorrow and do a test.
Ths previous observations are what i found out on both my 243 and 300wsm competition dies, when the case neck would not be completely resized if following factory instructions
during set up.

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"
Old 06-19-2005, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

Ian , hey guy , the redding instructions specifically point to this setting as the "most" sizing possible.The die is going back to
Redding with 5 fireformed cases(they sure are pretty with them shoulders blowed out [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])
AS a matter of fact so are the comp seating dies.
I can hardly wait to shoot (waiting on scope back from Leupold) The weather is near perfect right now,still ,dry not humid, mid 70's ,not our normal this time of year.Oh well ,there will be other days. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Jim
Old 06-19-2005, 03:40 PM
Platinum Member

dcb, I must admit to some confusion re: your posts .Did'nt you say you got your dies fixed by Redding in your previous post?So what cartridge 's are you referring to in the followup post where you "gave up" on the Reddings?I also have inexpensive collet dies but in my estimation they are not cheap but rather well made and the performance is even more astounding because of the relatively low cost.

It is my plan to do a comparison of the two types of dies over a period of time.Using components as close as possible ,same # of reloads,checking all dimensions relevant.I must say however that I probably will be duplicating countless others in these efforts. There are many on this site that can shoot rings around most of us here that use the Lee collet dies.Perhaps in the end it is the shooter that brings more to the table than the equipment.

Thanks for the thoughts /advice , Jim
Old 06-19-2005, 04:05 PM
Bronze Member

jim the redding die was better after i got it back. in the beginning the runout was .006" to .008" now it is at .003" some times a little better.
I pick it up and look at it on an occasion and think about the $100 I have in it and put it back on the pile of pappers.
I will call redding again and complain but the teck told me that the only gurantee a die to .003" run out that is .0015" per side? WHAT? i just shook my head and mummmm
bled.
Cheap meaning less expensive lee than redding.
iloaded 50 cases using the lee collet the redding seater and run out is .0005 to .001 with some tweaking on the seater
and triming the meplat i think they will be better.
i am at work and keep getting interupted sorry about the confusion. hopefully this is a better explination
Old 06-20-2005, 11:27 AM
Gold Member

Jimm,
Guess what? my 243AI neck bushing die shows the same problem as you have, only sizing .190" of the neck [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].
I therefore decided to do a comparison test between my 243win and the 243AI neck die.

I stripped down both dies and took measuremants of the length of the internal components, the conclusion i came to, was that the chamber in the sliding sleeve needs to be cut .030" deeper or the bushing seat cut deeper to the same amount.
I pushed a brand new Lapua case into each of the sleeves and measured the protrusion of the neck through the hole where thw bushing normally sits.
The 243 measured .222" from the case mouth to the bushing seat and the 243AI measured .220"

On re-assembly the 243 sized a .218" length of neck and the 243AI only .190" as stated earlier.
I have been using the 243 die at this maximum adjustment for the last 2 yesrs with no problems at all.
The reason why the 243AI die only sized .190" is that everything locks up and does not allow any more adjustment.

I chucked the bushing plunger in the lathe and skimmed .020" off the small end, this gave me another .010" of sizing length before it all locked up again.
I skimmed another .020" but this made no difference at all.

I am wondering wether to send the dies back to redding or do a modification myself, the official importers are about as much use as teets on a bull and i'm not sure about the cost and time involved sending them from the UK.
I will let you all know what happened in the near future.

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but thr duck got in the way"

Oooh! by the way i also have a 243AI "S Type" bushing neck die and this too sizes only .190" of the neck at maximum adjustment [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img].