Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

.243 AI and Redding comp. neck sizing dies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2005, 06:06 PM
Platinum Member

.243 AI and Redding comp. neck sizing dies

When I set my redding comp die up according to instructions the neck on my fired cases are only getting sized down to within .065 of the shoulder. Is this right?I back off .005 after setting the die body off the shellholder ,leave the ram up ,turn the mike down untill it touches .then back off .005 .I was under the impression that you could size all the way to the shoulder. I'm sure I'm gimping this up somewhere [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] HELP!

Thanks guys , Jim
Old 06-18-2005, 06:42 PM
Bronze Member

Re: .243 AI and Redding comp. neck sizing dies

the entire neck if the die is set in the press right.By this I mean if you turn down the micrometer top to far to start with the full neck wont get sized because the primer stem will hit the case.Back the top way off then set the die to just make contact with the shellholder once that is done turn down the top till it sizes the entire neck and pushes the primer out at the same time.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

dcb,
Do you have these dies?I loosened the lock allen screw and screwed the decapper stem all the way up, backed off the mike body untill it was barely on, run the ram up, screwed the mike body down till it bottomed, all to no avail! The neck is still only sized down to within .065 of the shoulder. HELP ! Jim
Old 06-19-2005, 08:18 AM
Gold Member

Jimm,
I found that if the Mic is turned down to far upon setting up, it wont allow the sliding sleeve to move all the way back into the die body leaving it about a 1/16" proud of the bottom of the die.
Try this:

Back the Mic off a good deal then re-set your die against the shell-holder with the ram fully in the up position, by allowing the sleeve to touch the shell holder and winding the body of the down untill it too touches the shell holder.
Note the position of the scale and rotate the die body counter-clockwise untill the scale is in the "6 oclock" position directly in front of you.
If the scale is past the 6 oclock position before counter winding, make sure that you counter wind 1 complete revolution and the bit extra, to put the scale in the right position.
I then smoke a case neck and wind down the micrometer untill the desired length of neck size is achieved.

This works for me, i hope it works for you. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"
Old 06-19-2005, 10:50 AM
Platinum Member

Ian,
Mike all the way up,die body against the shell holder(sliding sleeve completely compressed), turn die body counter clockwise until mike gradations are in front,lock ring set ,turn mike down untill contact(wont go any further), back off five fine marks( wont call it .005 because it's not that precise)lower ram , insert case , raise ram, lower ram , inspect case.Case is sized to within approx. .065 of the junction of the neck and shoulder , will not size further! All above according to the destructions [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]. The sliding sleeve is marked .243 Win. Imp b/nk(don't know what the b/nk stands for ) Btw, the decap rod is adjusted as far up as it can go, so it's not bottoming out in the case.If the sleeve is not proper in the area where the case neck passes through the sleeve hole then the neck cant be sized completely ,I don't know what else it could be.
Thanks for thinking about it, Jim
Old 06-19-2005, 11:22 AM
Bronze Member

OK!! I had a problem with a set of redding dies and called and talked to a tech. The "die" was marked 243 win imp. the other letters are date codes.
After an extensive conversation with the tech he determined that there is a diffrence in the dies between 243 win imp and a 243 ackley imp. I sent 5 fireformed cases and the die back to redding and they replaced the die body but it still is stamped with 243 win imp.
The problem that i had was with case run out after resizing.
Also what brass are you using maybe the neck to sholder angle is diffrent from the chamber to the die . if the case touches at the sholder before the neck is all the way up in the bushing,? just A thought. is it a 40* chamber and is the die 40*
Old 06-19-2005, 11:43 AM
Platinum Member

dcb
Thanks for the reply,about to pull my hair out [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].I think that is the problem as my chamber is a .243 AI barreled by GA Precision.The die as I mentioned is marked 40* ,but is win imp,always thought they were the same.I have run standard .243 brass through the die and it still wont resize all the neck.Also ran a fireformed case in it and same results. I sent a email to Redding and will probably be sending them the die and five fireformed cases as you did. Will let everyone know the outcome.

Thanks again , Jim