Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

.243 AI Loading Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 05:51 PM
Gold Member

Re: .243 AI Loading Question

I was told by the Smith that a 1x9 would work with the 95gr.......................The long throut, is that normal. It has a Pac Nor Super Match barrel on it...................I might have to go to another bullet .................maybe like the 95gr Nosler Accu bond..................Im game on the smaller bullets what ever would work....................In my old Rem 700 the Barnes 80gr TSX's sure shot good...............
My intent was to use this rifle for mostly Varmints and when I get a tag for Deer and Black Bear.........................Do you think that the longer bearing surface bullets would be able to be seated out far enough to touch the rifling......??

I guess I should have done a lot more information gathering before I ordered this rifle.............................
in your opinion what would work best for what I inted to use it for ..................??
G
Old 04-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Gold Member

Your problem is primarily going to be with VLD's. "ordinary" bullets should be less of a problem. But you need to get the throat question sorted out. Having an excessively long throat is the same thing as having a shot out barrel.

What your options are depend a lot on your barrel tennon ? Is yours a Remington type action, or a savage style ?

The only way to fix the throat, if it is as long as you say, is to have the barrel set back. It is a question of how much. I believe that the AI chamber I have has a Sami style neck and throat, that is probably the way most 243 AI's are made. The only time one expects anything different is for a custom job where someone wants to shoot 115's and specifically requests a lengthened throat.

The throat dimension could very well preclude you shooting lighter bullets accurately and may be part of the current problem too.

I would be having a word with the rifle builder to see what they were thinking putting a long throat on a 1:9 twist barrel which cannot shoot the heavy and long VLD's in the first place. On the 115's a 7.5 twist is generally recommended.

If possible send back the rifle and have them set back the barrel and give you a regular throat dimension to Sami spec.

Otherwise, get the 8 twist as I recommended and it will be a good long range gun (look at the bullet energy and velocity to guide you in what size animal you should be shooting at what distance). It will then shot the 95's and 105's well without needing max loads. Right now I see no benefit to 115's since the BC is nearly the same as the 105's. The hybrid 105's have been sold out everywhere, but I will get some at the first opportunity. They are apparently less critical of the exact "jump" to the lands.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:16 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for all the help.....................................I will ask the Smith and see what he says but would have it done by someone else.........................His lag time was off by over 6 months from what he told me.

The barrel is on a Rem 700 action...............................

Do you have anyone your would recomend??
Old 04-06-2013, 06:36 PM
Gold Member

Your fastest and least expensive solution will be a new 1:8 Barrel with Savage style nut. Otherwise you will pay more in gunsmith fees to have the barrel set back than a new barrel with a more suitable twist rate in the first place. Then send the old barrel back to the company you bought it from, and have them correct the chamber for free. When you get it back, sell it to recoup some of your losses.

The new barrel should have you operational in less than a month. Jim has all the tools you need to fit the new barrel except the go gauge (mansonreamers.com has those in stock $30 each)

Northland Shooter Supply
Call Jim Briggs
Phone - 763/682-4296 - BEST WAY TO CONTACT ME
Fax - 763/682-6098
Mailing address:
PO Box 333
Buffalo, MN 55313
Old 04-06-2013, 08:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Duerr View Post
I was told by the Smith that a 1x9 would work with the 95gr.......................The long throut, is that normal. It has a Pac Nor Super Match barrel on it...................I might have to go to another bullet .................maybe like the 95gr Nosler Accu bond..................Im game on the smaller bullets what ever would work....................In my old Rem 700 the Barnes 80gr TSX's sure shot good...............
My intent was to use this rifle for mostly Varmints and when I get a tag for Deer and Black Bear.........................Do you think that the longer bearing surface bullets would be able to be seated out far enough to touch the rifling......??

I guess I should have done a lot more information gathering before I ordered this rifle.............................
in your opinion what would work best for what I inted to use it for ..................??
G
Surprised your having all those problems? I remember your early post about the 243AI figured you had everything settled that was back in 2011.

.243 Ackley
Old 04-06-2013, 09:02 PM
Gold Member

Well being new to this level of shooting has been a huge learing experiance............Up to now my long shots have been around 200yards, so accuracey was something I did not pay much attention to. I did buy from the help from guys on this sight, a Leica 1200 RF.................Wow, was that a learning experiance, Had no Idea just how far 400 yards was , let alone the distances you guys shoot at.................unbelievable.
Things might be different with my new Rifle if I had the right powders avaiable. All I now right now is that I can not seat a 95gr Berger out far enough to touch the lands...............Had no idea that was a problem. The other thing is that I have not been able to get any resonable accuracy out of it. .597 with RL19 but at 48.5 gr was in the high pressure............Moon cratered firing pin holes and the shinny spot from the extractor. Using H100V nothing under .8 from start to high pressure...............I did read that H1000 is a great powder for the .243 should work good in the .243AI. I do have some 105 A-Max I bought that will work with the 1x9 I would like to see something that would tell me im heading in the right direction.
I emailed Darrel Holland and you told me to call John Lewis from CPR who built my rifle and ask for the reamer print................that would tell me what the throut length was...........Ive learned a lot, so far probable would have done it different .........at this point I would be happy with any groups at .5

Greg
Old 04-07-2013, 01:35 AM
Gold Member

Greg, I think Berger only makes two 6mm 95gr bullets for the 1/9 twist barrels and I'm not sure what he had on his site couple years ago.

If your not getting what you want maybe time for a change or put rifle away till you can get other powders if that what you thing will help.