Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

.243 AI Loading Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 12:09 PM
Gold Member

.243 AI Loading Question

Im using H100V for my .243AI shooting the 95gr.Berger

I started out with a load of 44.0, because on the back of the Powder can it showed a load for the .243 and the 100gr @43.7C However the berger book showed a max load of 41.0
From 44.0 - 46.0 my groups were about 1.750 not until I got to 46.5 did they come down to .856, however I saw cratering on the primer and that shinny spot on the head of the case.

Is that signs of hi pressure..........? Is that something to look at or is that doable?

I cant seat my bullet out to touch the lands, is that normal for the berger or is it a chamber issue?

Does one kind of powder make that much differance, I had some RL19 and had groups that were .596 However the same pressure signs were there.

Are the recomended powders for the .243 acceptable in the Ackley ?

This is all new to me ..................

Is it important that you are able to seat your bullets out far enough to touch the lands?

Greg
Old 04-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Bronze Member

Re: .243 AI Loading Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Duerr View Post
Im using H100V for my .243AI shooting the 95gr.Berger

I started out with a load of 44.0, because on the back of the Powder can it showed a load for the .243 and the 100gr @43.7C However the berger book showed a max load of 41.0
From 44.0 - 46.0 my groups were about 1.750 not until I got to 46.5 did they come down to .856, however I saw cratering on the primer and that shinny spot on the head of the case. this is high pressure sign

Is that signs of hi pressure..........? Is that something to look at or is that doable? you need to back down in charge IMHO

I cant seat my bullet out to touch the lands, is that normal for the berger or is it a chamber issue? I have loaded .223 and .270 VLD neither would reach the lands.

Does one kind of powder make that much differance, I had some RL19 and had groups that were .596 However the same pressure signs were there. YES

Are the recomended powders for the .243 acceptable in the Ackley ? yes

This is all new to me ..................

Is it important that you are able to seat your bullets out far enough to touch the lands? not in every rifle. Both of my rifles shoot best .005 under max COL

Greg
hope that helps some. good luck
Old 04-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Platinum Member

The loads apply to the 243 Win, not the 243AI. Generally it is expected that one can get about 10% more powder into an AI so 41+4.1 = 45.1 is roughly what you should expect (in fireformed brass) for a max load.

I cant seat my bullet out to touch the lands, is that normal for the berger or is it a chamber issue?
You don't say why that is ? Does it not fit into the magazine or would not enough bullet be engaged in the case ? The latter sounds rather unlikely to me ? Perhaps you need a longer magazine or go to single shot to get the advantage of being able to seat the bullet longer ? That will reduce pressure and increase the max load. Having said that, I am loading the 95gr Bergers to the 2.71" overall length and shooting 0.5" at 100 yards while fireforming the brass with a 41gr load. I have yet to load into the formed brass, but all of those loads will be with 105gr bullets in my case, not 95gr.

Have you done everything you can to improve your base rifle ? Bed the action, ensure barrel is free floated etc etc ? No point in blowing up your rifle with max loads when all the mechanical aspects are not yet perfect. The heavier the load, the more perfect the bedding etc needs to be to allow the rifle to group well.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:41 PM
Gold Member

Im using the sinclair bullet seating depth tool....................according to that I can not seat my bullets out to touch the rifleing as the bullet will have just a little hold from the neck.
My rifle is a custom from Carolina Precision Rifles, "John Lewis" Your right about the load of 46.5 Lots of pressure sighs but anything less than that using H100V and my groups are .8 to .9 Not good enough for me....................Like I said all this is new to me and what im learning is that .................next time NO improved Cartridges. If I had to do it over it would have been the 6mmXC......To much time waisted fireforming.............................and for what it cost me to have CPR do my rifle .................I would have bought a Cooper and saved my self a lot.......................

I was looking at the Berger reloading Manual and it showed that with the 95gr berger you can use H1000 powder.........................I thought that powder was for big Magnum cases.....................??

I did get good group with RL 19 but that powder is no were to be found.....right now. Along with all the otheres I would lilke to try..................It would be helpful if I was working up a load with either H4350, H4831, h414 N160 etc.........................I dont like using powders that have no history to them................................

Greg
Old 04-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member

Perhaps you should try 105's if your throat is so long ? A too long throat is always a problem shooting lighter bullets. For 99% of us we have the opposite problem, a short throat that prevents loading the bullet "long".

David Tubb seats his bullets past the lands and they jet jammed (shortened) when chambering. He seems dead set on having the bullet engage the rifling, thats for sure.

Have you tried one loaded at max feasible length to see if in fact the bullet has marks on it and a reduced COAL after chambering ? Those tools do not always work correctly for VLD's. Thats what Berger says in their reloading manual.

You would for sure want to reduce the load before trying to fire any in that configuration since jammed bullets raise pressure.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:17 PM
Gold Member

I was able to seat the Hornady 100 gr spire points into the lands for fireforming the .243 Lapua brass...................

I did buy some 105 gr A max that I have not tried.....................I could try those.

Can you shoot the Sierra 107's out of a 1x9 twist.......................Im realizing just haw much I did not know before ordering this rifle.................

Right now that only powder I have is the H100V and some H1000

I will take your advice and load up some 105's..........................So far any accuracy I have received was with High Prssure loads. When I had some RL19 I was shooting 48.5 with the 95 and with hight pressure signs. My son used that load to take his first black bear at 211 yards...................Dead when he hit the ground..............

Greg
Old 04-06-2013, 05:32 PM
Platinum Member

I see the problem... Your 9 twist is providing marginal stability with the 95's. I had an original 26" 9.25 twist barrel and my groupings with the 95gr VLD's were pretty awful (1-2"). So you have a "true" 1:9 and your grouping has been a little better, but you have to shoot them with basically a max load to spin them fast enough to stabilize. Then combined with a long throat in a barrel that can basically never shoot heavy VLD's ? Mine (1:8x26") is now grouping 1/2" at 100 with fireforming loads (41gr H100V) and I have back calculated the MV as 3400fps, based on a 6" drop from 100 to 285 yards. I have not yet started loading in the fireformed cases, but did get a batch of 105gr VLD's this last week that I will be loading up.

Quit while you are ahead and get yourself an 8 twist barrel with a "normal" throat. Mine is a Shilen. I don't know how your action is set up - Remington type Tenon ?

The 243 Win is a popular caliber so Jim at NSS will probably have a batch of barrels coming in in a few weeks. He has a version that is made with a barrel nut for the Remington type action. Installing it requires no gunsmithing and just a $30 go gauge. They should be $~320. You will probably recover some money by selling the original barrel to someone shooting varmint bullets at 4000fps, for which it will be fine.