Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

243 Ackley Improved Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 03:49 PM

243 Ackley Improved Problems

Can anyone suggest a supplier for 243 Ackley Improved brass. The rifle I have will not permit closing the bolt on a factory 243 Winchester cartridge so I cannot fire form from factory ammo. It will also not permit bolt clousure with an empty 243 Lapua case. A friend told me I would have to turn the cases down inorder to load and chamber a regular 243 Win Lapua cartridge prior to fire forming. Can someone tell me where I can get brass already formed or help me with this issue on turning cases. Thanks Al.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:30 PM

Re: 243 Ackley Improved Problems

When you say it Wont close, will it close but with some resistence? If this is the case and the chamber isnt a tight neck this is normal. With Improved cartridges there is always some resistence when chambering unformed brass, this is providing your headspace until fireformed. If it closes with some force look at the brass and you should see a ring at the neck shoulder junction and it should chamber easier if you try it again. There are other issues like neck diameter that it could be but I would make sure that this doesnt work first. If it doesnt work, Then you would have to find out if you need to neck turn your brass or trim to fit.
I dont know of any formed brass and it really wouldnt help you anyway.
BTW: If the bolt closed easily in the chamber with a standard .243 you would have more to worry about.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:46 PM

Thanks for the reply--The bolt will not close on a loaded Remington round or unloaded Lapua 243 Win cartridge. The action is a Remington 700SA and I cannot quite the the bolt closed enough to cam over.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:17 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL Winters View Post
Can anyone suggest a supplier for 243 Ackley Improved brass. The rifle I have will not permit closing the bolt on a factory 243 Winchester cartridge so I cannot fire form from factory ammo. It will also not permit bolt clousure with an empty 243 Lapua case. A friend told me I would have to turn the cases down inorder to load and chamber a regular 243 Win Lapua cartridge prior to fire forming. Can someone tell me where I can get brass already formed or help me with this issue on turning cases. Thanks Al.
Not sure what you mean by turning down cases. You should be able to chamber 243 loaded or unloaded case if headspace it done right at least mine does than. the 243 case is smaller than 243AI you blow the shoulder forward for the 243AI and increase body dia start of shoulders and mine has same neck length as 243. I fired formed both Win and Lapua brass and if it was me I'd get hold of who chamber that rifle or get hold of a good gunsmith find out what the problem is.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM H View Post
............ You should be able to chamber 243 loaded or unloaded case if headspace it done right at least mine does than. the 243 case is smaller than 243AI you blow the shoulder forward for the 243AI and increase body dia start of shoulders and mine has same neck length as 243. I fired formed both Win and Lapua brass and if it was me I'd get hold of who chamber that rifle or get hold of a good gunsmith find out what the problem is.

I dont own a modified 243....but thats identical to my 25-06AI. I can fire standard 25-06 rounds ( and mighty dammed accurate too I might add) which is what I have to do to fire form my brass...??
Old 03-24-2013, 08:18 PM
Gold Member

Tomorrow, call mansonreamers.com and get a go gauge for a 243Win Ackley Improved. Whoever fitted the barrel may not have done a good job or used the wrong head space gauge.

I have the same chamber in my Savage and im the process of fireforming a big batch of brass and while I have a little resistance on closing the bolt it is not any less that what you expect with any kind of match ammo. Certainly nothing sloppy about it and I set the headspace myself.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:38 PM

I'm with Sully 2 on this one. I have both a 25-06AI and a 280AI and have no trouble w using factory cases for fire forming. Seat the bullets long enough so they contact the rifling and shoot away. I also find that accuracy is very good when fire forming.

I have no experience with 243's but I think the chamber is an issue. Just my opinion.