Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

.223 WSSM or WSSM IMPROVED

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2008, 09:28 PM
Bronze Member

Re: .223 WSSM or WSSM IMPROVED

snippy snippy about the topic atleast i didnt say anything about liking browning guns! (which are crap) I have yet to spend a dime on a gun chambered for this so I am just bench racing like alot guys here do instead of shooting ..... anyway i was also thinking maybe a 6.5x47 lapua necked down to 224 i bet yu could spec a reamer out anyway you wanted so long as you bought it, I think alot of people forget that,anyway here up north tx we shoot song dogs and hogs and I am looking to build another gun that would be very portable and has long range potential. so light bullets arent even a thought
Old 09-06-2008, 01:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown9124 View Post
snippy snippy about the topic atleast i didnt say anything about liking browning guns! (which are crap) I have yet to spend a dime on a gun chambered for this so I am just bench racing like alot guys here do instead of shooting ..... anyway i was also thinking maybe a 6.5x47 lapua necked down to 224 i bet yu could spec a reamer out anyway you wanted so long as you bought it, I think alot of people forget that,anyway here up north tx we shoot song dogs and hogs and I am looking to build another gun that would be very portable and has long range potential. so light bullets arent even a thought
no need to get upset, you ask for advice and that is what you will get.... along with lots of opinons. Take it all with a grain of sult!
Old 09-06-2008, 08:53 AM
Silver Member

My experience is with the 25 WSSM in an AR platform. What are your ideas for "improved".
About all you can do is change the shoulder angle up to 35 or 40. Have a reamer made to seat heavy bullets out long? I'm all for wildcatting, most of my rifles are improved versions.
Have fun with your project.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Silver Member

I have a .223 wssm in Coyote config. Had it since it came out. It insists on a CLEAN barrel. Will shoot .5 MOA on any given day. .25 MOA on a good one. Will copper foul like crazy if not kept in check. Actually had a keyhole issue once when I first got it. I treated it like all my other guns and would clean every 10 or so. You cannot do this with this cartridge. Clean every 5 and your experience will be better. I love mine. This family has gotten a ton of bad press. Mainly this comes from people who have never shot one. I refused to give up on mine and it is up there with some of my custom rifles now as far as accuracy and reliability. Yes it has terribly thick necks. I anneal mine. They last forever. I shoot mine mostly at paper these days. I use a strong dose of H380 topped with a 52gr Watson Benchrest bullet. I love this cartridge. My load pushes almost 4000 fps. Fun as crap to shoot, no recoil, flat trajectory. Only down side is the need for OCD cleanliness. Any hot round has it's trade offs. Try one, if you don't like it, sell it. I think you will probably keep it if you get one though!
Old 09-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Bronze Member

I wasnt getting upset about the replies I can form an opinion on my own but it is hard to ignore bad experience with something especially if there is alot of it all the way around. But as for an improved version i was thinking 40 degree shoulder to help improve case life and maybe a velo gain as well I was just thinking that in my experience with the improved designs is that the most gain or benefit is in shorter cases. I would like to know how you feel about the 25wssm in your ar is it working out for you ? any regrets?
Old 09-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Platinum Member

25 cal isn't generally a preffered caliber among long range shooters because of a lack of bullet selection --- that's not to say that there arn't people who use them, rather that .224, .243, .264, .284, .308, and .338 are more popular selections.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member

The wssm is a fine case except for neck thickness resulting from forming from WSM cases. The 223WSSM should never have happened and was a predictable disaster for Winchestor. They deserve what they get for this.

It should have started no lower than 25cal, with their primary market at 26 and 28cal. They also should have had WSSM brass made to provide normal neck thickness and normal accuracy potential.
As it stands, in 22cal, it represents every mistake an inexperienced wildcatter might make.. Overbore, inconsistant in neck tension, higher bolt face forces, magazine/feeding issues, and it leaves too little barrel metal around the chamber unless using a magnum action/barrel shank.
None of these problems exist with other 22cal cartridges, so it has to get 'worst design' award IMO..

Now theres hope in larger cals. The problems can be addressed up front. I enjoy a 26WSSM. But honestly, the WSSM capacity has always been achieved with the 06case.. A std 243 case has done it for decades.. My 26WSSM will not beat a 260(a 26-243), your 22WSSM will not beat a 22-243.

There is no improving this case with a reamer