Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

223 Seating Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 10:01 AM
Silver Member

223 Seating Issues

Hi All,

I am having some troubles lately loading some 223 ammo. I am trying to load 60 gr Hornady HP flat base bullets into chamferred mixed commercial cases. What appears to be happening is the the seater is catching the HP and attempts to seat the bullet at an angle? It is causing a deformation of the point of the bullet and bulging the neck and seating the bullets at an angle.

I am using a standard RCBS die set in a Dillon 550b. I just ran 200 60 gr SP's (again, flat base) through it at the same setting so I am really confused as to what is causing the issue.

Any ideas? Pic are as good as I can get with my phone, will try to get better photos later this afternoon/evening. . .

Thanks all and God bless you!

Adam

Old 03-12-2013, 01:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 223 Seating Issues

Check those bullets with your calipers to make sure they're accurate. They might be too large diameter. Looks weird. As for the bending of the sideways seating, that's probably just a side-effect from smashing that bullet down into the undersized neck. Make sure everything you are using is correct.

Other than that, I have no clue what could be going on, unless your die is too close to the shellholder, in which case, backing it up 1/4 turn will usually help to stop over-compressing the loads and bending the necks sideways... That could help.

I'm out of ideas. Maybe some of this can help with your issue. Other than that, I havd no idea.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Platinum Member

"What appears to be happening is the the seater is catching the HP and attempts to seat the bullet at an angle?"

The seating plug in most seaters is signficantly smaller than the bullet guide section of the seater. If the bullet guide section is much too large the bullets will tilt excessively no matter what the user does. If the mouth of a hollow point hits the edge of the seating cavity a tilted bullet has no chance of properly aligning with the case neck.

Lee's bullet seater guides seem to be tighter than other conventional die sets and their floating seater plug will self align to the bullets.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:12 PM
Bronze Member

I hate loading Flat base's on the dillon..
I did some for a friend and made him use a VLD reamer on each peice of brass. No more problems after that.

If the adjusting the die doesnt fix it, try a Hornady seater. They have the floating guide and it helps. I use it on 6.8spc using flat base bullets and it works great!
Old 03-12-2013, 03:10 PM
Bronze Member

+1 to Booms post.

Was having the same issue with a Lee die in 22-250 using 55gn FBPSP's. Called Lee and they sent me a larger diameter seating plug. Problem solved.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:16 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the tips fellas, I'll check the mentioned items. It may be Thursday before I can get back to it sadly. . .

Old 03-12-2013, 10:09 PM

Check to see if the seating plug hits on the ogive or if the head length of the bullet is too long for the plug and the tip hit first. Or the other responses? Good luck. I had a problem with 80 A-Max and went with a Redding Comp die